3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Have any of you hunted Prince of Wales Island for bear or blacktail deer?  (Read 282 times)

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
I will be in POW during early Sept. for bear and blacktails. I have been on the island before but did not hunt just fished. I am assuming that the bear will be lower feeding on salmon. Will the deer be up high that time of year? Is it all spot and stalk? Would a treestand be of value?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks Sean

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Have any of you hunted Prince of Wales Island for bear or blacktail deer?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
Anyone??

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
I live in Juneau but would guess, based on our deer/bear schedule, that there should be some bears down low on the streams but you may find that many of the bears will be tapping other food sources since they will have been eating fish for 2-3 months.  That's what seems to happen often around here.  I'd think that you'd be able to find bear up higher and off the streams.  As for deer, they will likely be high and mostly spot and stalk.  You could call but you'll probably get mostly does to respond.  If you were there in November a call could be productive for bucks.  Hope this helps a little.

Offline sparrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
I hunted the first week of Sept.04. The deer were up in the alpine. We flew into Josephine Lake. Very rugged to get up to the alpine but nice once up there. Steep country but beautiful setting. We saw two bears up there in 8 days. Deer were much better. I shot a buck that fell about 400 vertical feet. His last kick sent him down,down, down the mountain.We also saw a wolf up there but the season wasn't open yet. Hope this helps. We rented the Forest Service cabin and it was great.

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies, 6 mos. and counting.

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
I worked and hunted on POW for two construction seasons. I had a lot of great hunts and took some nice deer. The deer in my profile photo was taken near Hollis.

I stalked a few bears, one dandy, that I didn't shoot because I was more interested in deer.

I liked to camp in the alpine. That way I would be in position for glassing at first light. If the conditions are right, it is amazing how many deer you can see in one morning.

Good luck!
Chuck

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »
that is a huge sblacktail and in velvet

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©