3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wing thunderbird brace height??  (Read 297 times)

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
wing thunderbird brace height??
« on: February 18, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »
my father-in-law has an old wing thunderbird.
62" 44# and it is painfully slow..  "[dntthnk]"  
i measured the brace height and i get 9 1/4" from the string to the spot on the grip where the web between you thumb and pointer finger go.

i was thinking maybe the string is not the right length. my friend wants to start shooting, but the way this bow is setup he wont enjoy it. the arrows do get shot of the bow, they seem to just lob out there. anyhelp would be great..

jamie
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: wing thunderbird brace height??
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
My 54", 50# Wing T-Bird is braced at 8-1/4" and shoots as fast as many of the custom bows on the market today. I can't imagine why yours isn't performing well. The T-Bird is one of the best performing bows that Wing Archery made.
By the way, you are measuring the brace height correctly (throat of grip to string).
 If your draw length is close to 28" I'd recommend 1916s with 125 gr. field points if you shoot aluminums, or 50#-55# woodies with 125 gr. up front. I don't know anything about carbons, so I can't make a recommendation.
Hope ya get her shooting well. Let us know how things turn out.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
thanks chuck.  :thumbsup:   im thinkin about ordering a new string for it. it will be a good starter bow for my friend.  

jamie  :coffee:
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline dachba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
Jamie, I think you've got a short string on a long bow (grin).  A bit over 8" should do.  I shot mine between 7-1/2 and 8.

Dave in Ft. Collins, CO
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
the bow says 62" so how long of a sring should i get? 58" or 59". thanks for the help guys..

jamie
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline dachba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
Jamie, for a recurve the string should be 4" less than the AMO number (62" AMO in your case, so a string that is actually 58" long). This is just a rule of thumb.  Each bow seems to differ a bit.  I'm curious what the length of your current string is?

Be careful, some string lengths are given with the AMO number (e.g. an AMO 62" string measures at 58" for a recurve) and some are given in actual length (a 62" string is 62" long and would be much too long for your bow).

Dave in Ft. Collins, CO
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
Be sure NOT to order a string made from low/no stretch material. The old Wings were not made for those type strings and they could damage or destroy your bow.
 My suggestion would be a 58" B-50 Flemish twist string. A 50" string braces my 54" bow just right. And you can always twist up a Flemish string to increase brace height if the string is a little long.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©