Author Topic: twisted  (Read 278 times)

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
twisted
« on: March 11, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
K, so every bow i've made so far seems to have a mild propeller twist in it (all board bows).  Is this due to some characteristics of the wood/grain, or is it my righthandedness showing up in the scraping (I use a block plane and scrapers to true up the profile).  Don't have calipers, but the best i can measure doesn't LOOK like one there's uneven thickness.     :knothead:
Kevin

"he hath bent his bow, and made it ready . . .his arrow shall go forth as the lightning" - Psalm 7:12, Zech. 9:14

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: twisted
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Most of mine have VERY mild twists, Im guessing working the same limb from the same side. So far it has never hurt a thing.

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
That's kinda what i was thinking.  Mine are pretty mild and still shoot fine (when they don't explode, but that's a different problem!   :banghead:   ), but i'd like to figure out what's going on before i try a recurve, or at least how I can fix it if not avoid it.
Kevin

"he hath bent his bow, and made it ready . . .his arrow shall go forth as the lightning" - Psalm 7:12, Zech. 9:14

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Take a good pic and lets see how much twist you have. Mine is generally the last 6-8" inches and its usually a 1/4" or so. Sometimes you cant see it if the bow isnt laying just right, but its still there.

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
You can use an opened wrench or even a crescent wrench to measure in a pinch.

It doesn't take much thickness to change the way a limb bends.

But the woods thickness shouldn't be the determining factor in where to remove wood.  The bend will tell you.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
Are these bias/rift sawn board bows? Art

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
Have to get a photobucket account before i can put up any pics.

Duh! Shoulda thought of the crescent wrench!!  I'm all about using tools for other than their intended purpose!  I looked at bowskins youtube vid about removing limb twist, tried it, but removed almost an uncomfortable amount of wood w/o any results:/

As for bias/rift sawn, still kinda muddled on how to tell all the cuts.  Most of these the rings are running at a bout a 45 degree angle when looking at the cut end of the board.  This was something i was suspecting.  If the rings rotate, then i would think the board would tend to as well?
Kevin

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
45 degrees would be rift sawn. 1/4 sawn the grain is vertical, flat sawn the grain is horizontal.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by k-hat:

Most of these the rings are running at a bout a 45 degree angle when looking at the cut end of the board.  This was something i was suspecting.  If the rings rotate, then i would think the board would tend to as well?
///// Yep, that would be my guess too////  Art

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Boards like yours arent all bad, but a hard back is usually a good idea.

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
Thanks guys!

Looks like the boards i tend to buy are rift sawn.  I've seen some good looking 1/4 sawn specimens, but wasn't sure how they'd turn out.  

So since it's the boards (and not me   ;)  ), will i need to use heat to get rid of the twist, specially if i'm trying a recurve, in which it seems twist would be more problematic?
Kevin

Offline Aznboi3644

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
I call it on ur right handiness.

I've never had any twist problems with any boards yet...rift quarter or plain sawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©