3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cabelas or Columbia wool  (Read 502 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Cabelas or Columbia wool
« on: February 18, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
Has anybody had any experiance with these brands of wool good,bad,ugly?   Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks, Covey

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cabelas or Columbia wool
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
I have the columbia range wool, and am fairly happy. it's inexpensive. But for the jacket is not the most comfortable. the armpits are cut to low, and make the jacket pull up if you lift your arms past straight out. It's just my experie.

They are warm and good quality.

Offline feve316

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
The columbia wool for the price is great stuff very quiet and the camo pattern is excellent. Deer look right through me in a tree, blends in very well.I have the parka and shirt jac but dont wear them very often they dont fit as well as the cabelas parka. I wear the Gallation Range pants in cold weather with a wind stop and 1 or 2 long johns underneath, then in warm weather I wear the Mesa Horn pants. I also have the Cabelas wool vest and parka they are good quality for the price. They remind me a little more of the KOM products at a fraction of the cost, and I have worn both and cannot tell the warmth difference at all. The Cabelas wool parka fits me nicer than the columbia one, but I prefer the Columbia pants more then the cabelas pants and bibs. They didnt fit like the columbia pants do, so I mix and match. All in all they are both good products for the money. I do own KOM and Sleeping Indian wool also, and dont get me wrong they are both excellent items but the price isnt in everyones budget. Check out Three Rivers they had some good sales on the Columbia wool a while back.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
The Cabelas seems to be a better fit and the quality is excellent, I prefer their berber fleece with windstopper, ya will not find better or quieter stuff. Shawn
Shawn

Offline feve316

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
Like Jeff said the jacket fits a little goofy for some reason. Thats why I went to the Cabelas parka it fit a lot nicer. The Columbia pants fit nice for me and I like the cargo pockets which the Cabelas pants dont have, also Cabelas have a thin polyester liner in both the pants and bibs which I hated.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guy's.I would like to buy some wool of some sort,but havent decided on what brand yet.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
Check out Weatherby wool.  Good stuff and priced fairly reasonably.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
Well, Columbia, so far as I know, doesn't book canned hunts in Africa, or sell all manner of morally suspect gadgetry, or buy up prime hunting and fishing property in MT that has always provided public access, and sell it off to rich snobs, dealing a serious blow to democratic hunting in America. Of course, if we buy Columbia from Cabela's, what's the difference? Either way, the rich get rich and hunting suffers.

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 05:40:00 AM »
I really like Cabelas Wooltimate w/windshear,warm and quiet.  Leland

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
I bought a cabelas wool coat for a spare it sucked threw it in the trash and bought a bushman shirt,I just wasted my money.Dont waste your money on cheap wool you know the saying   YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.......
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
I have the columbia wool pants and they're holding up very well so far.Believe it or not,it's been my experience so far that they are actually warmer than the KOM bibs I have.

I just got the Cabelas outfitter wool vest this past Christmas and really like it alot.Perfect for those in between days when a coat is too much,and perfect over a wool sweater.Lots of pockets too,which for me is a big plus........and at $79 it can't be beat.

I have KOM,Woolrich,Columbia,and Cabelas and they all have a place and time to be worn.I really can't say any of them are cheap,as in bad quality.Heck,even if cabelas or columbia only last 10 years,that's a small price of about $4-7 per year for some warm quiet clothing..........just MHO tho.....
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
I have the Columbia Gallatian Jacket w/ hood.  The arms are a little bulky, but overall it is a very nice jacket, and very toasty!!

Good camo pattern, and very quiet!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
Varmint you use bibs in SC i thought you guys wore t shirts to hunt, I do not where bibs unless below 0 . Im chunky i dont get cold.  :biglaugh:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Very rarely......it does seem the older I get the colder I get tho,have a dang hard time keeping my feet warm in 20 degree temps.....

Plus there's the occasional trip to Illinois and Kentucky to freeze my southern blood good!!
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
I own pieces and parts of both Columbia and Cabelas outfitter wool w/ the windblock.  The Cabelas seems to be a tighter weave and a little better overall quality.  The Columbia, as stated before, is good for the money, but you get what you pay for; if you sit in a tree in a fairly breezy area, the wind will cut right through the Columbia stuff, in my experience.  I also own some Filson and Swanndri wool, and there's MILES of difference in the quality of the more expensive stuff vs Columbia/Cabelas....

As has been said before, "your mileage may vary...."
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
I thought i was use to cold weather untill.I went to north dakota froze my ass off.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 72highboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
I was comparing the two just a few months ago myself...I ended up with the Cabelas. The Columbia Gallatin Range stuff is only about 60 percent wool and the Cabelas outfitter wool dry plus is 100 percent wool, if I remember my numbers right. I also liked that I could  get the Cabelas with the dryplus liner which I think is just Cabelas brand gore-tex. There is a difference within the Cabelas wool. Compare the outfitters wool dryplus to the wooltimate series. I tried to look around for Pendleton and to see if there were any other camo wool makers that had reasonable prices and did not find much. Filson has some nice stuff but it is not even close to the same price range.

Offline Rick STephens

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
My only complaint with the cabela's outfitter wool is the noise that the dry-plus liner makes.  For quiet archery type hunting on still mornings or evenings the liner makes more noise than wool alone.

As for the Columbia.  Seems good as far as quality like many others have stated.  Not 100% wool like my kom or filson.  Those two are in a league of their own.

Offline McGeeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
I have two pairs of Columbia pants, snow and brown and love them. I wear them more than any others I own. I also have the hooded Jacket. I don't like it. I keep thinking of cutting the hood off, but never do. The shir-jac they offer is nice.

One problem I've had is the buttons pop off real easy. I have resown all the buttons on all my Columbia wool at least once. I have since used sinew to saw them on and it works great.

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
I have had the Columbia wool for about 8 years, bibs and shirt jac.  I recently purchased the parka w/hood and like everyone else is saying the its fits a little wierd.  I prefer the shirt jacket for bowhunting in the cold. Its fits a little tighter and I have good string clearance.  You can't go wrong with the Columbia stuff but if you can afford the KOM wool it is probably made alot better. IMO.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©