Author Topic: "Little Shaver" Bow Question  (Read 657 times)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
"Little Shaver" Bow Question
« on: March 11, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Am making a Bow for My Grandaughters 3rd Birthday! I found a Nice little piece of hickory that has some Good Rings in it!! Ex-Broom Handle, I think. Anywho, question about Limb Thickness for her. She is Pretty Strong for a Little Girl, I figure I would, Might start with 1/2 thick limbs? 3/8?   :confused:  
  I have NO experience, and time is of the essence as MAY is Fast Approaching for a Slow Poke Like Me!! I figure 26" long straight longbow, since she is all of 36" tall!!  :readit:    :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline CaptainJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Little Shaver" Bow Question
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
Do yourself a favor and make that bow 36" long.
She'll be holding it in the middle anyway so it will still stay above her knees when she shoots it.
I would start it at 3/4" wide tapered to 3/8" from mid-limb to tip and use pin nocks. Starting at 1/2" thick and tillering to around 10# @ 18".
She'll be able to use that now and grow into it some.

CJ

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
Hardywaymike and I built one for his 3 yr old last weekend. It was 36" long, 1" wide and thickness tapered from about 3/8 to just under a 1/4". I marked half way up each limb and narrowed the width to about 5/16" wide at the tips. It turned out 15# @ 18" if I remember right. Chime in if Im off ont dim's Mike.

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
I think the short one was only 15@15 but all of the other dimensions are correct. It is alot easier than you might think. Other than the boards being planed to thickness and the handles being glued on, we did everything in like 6 hours. Then subtract the bsing and we only actually worked on them for about 3-3.5 hours. When I left that evening they were ready for stain. I just haven't gotten pics of them yet to try and post them.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
Thank You  ALL  for the Info!! After we watched "Robin Hood" (The New One) for the  3rd  time last Saturday Night, She is Asking "When PaPaw?? When am I gonna get  MY  Bow, PaPaw??"  :thumbsup:   Bless Her Little Junior Archer Heart!!  :archer:   She makes me so Proud!!  :goldtooth:   Thanks again for the Info, and I  WILL  Post Pictures!!  :goldtooth:
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
Had a Funny thing happen I gotta share, I got in on the $5 50 lb. Fish Weight Scale at Wally World, and My Granddaughter , Gracie, were playing around, she can pull 3 lbs. at 3 yrs old without straining herself!! Boy was  SHE  Proud of Herself!!  :scared:   the whole thing might be 7" long, and got her 3 lbs.!! "Did  YOU show her how to put it to her cheek & nose like that??" I was so  SHOCKED  that she Automatically  DID IT , I couldnt answer!! hahaha  :archer:

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
lol i hope my boy likes his bow next month (15th) nearly as much as your granddaughter does. he loves when i get mine out and says "BOW!" ...

im going to probably do him a 10#@12-14" ...

i guess i paid too much for my wally world luggage scale @ 7.50 to 80# ... nice find...
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
gotta change you name from shakes.602 to PaPaw, a name to be proud of.
I just finished a kids bow for NC Recurveman's daughter and I think it was 50"ntn 1 1/4" at the fade,half way to the the tip and tapering to 3/8" nocks. kept it basically flat bow with slight taper of thickness from fades to tip. Ended up about 13-15# @ 18" and flings arrows nicely. Make the bow longer than shorter, gives room to grow and is easier to get a good bow without breaking it. Post some pics for us grandpa.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
Hova- I've been looking for those 80# luggage scales at Wally world ever since you mentioned it and I swear I can't find one??

Shakes- It doesn't matter if it's perfect or a masterpiece to your little gal there, she will love anything that resembles what she saw on TV. I think you got a little fire burning there and you should definitely fan the flames!
  :campfire:  

I built my  2 nephews Osage longbows for Christmas and the 8yr. old Tucker got a 23# @24" and the 6 yr. old Garrett got a 15# @ about 18" and they are perfect for them at this age. I know they will outgrow them shortly, but boy they sure are having fun with them at the moment. Tucker is quite the dead eye with his and he asks me constantly....."Can we go shoot my bow uncle Chris?"
I even took them stumping the other day and they had a blast!
Here's some pics of them tearing up my 3D buck targets.

Look at the target, not the camera!   :goldtooth:  

~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline CaptainJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
Tucker looks like a trick shot artist there!
I found a #75lbs meat scale at True Value hardware out here. They have a kitchen and housewares section.

Razor, can we see pics of yours too?

CJ

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
Very Cool Pictures!!!  :saywhat:  , wasnt aware of the Luggage Scale!!
   Hmmmmmm..... "PaPawShakes"  :thumbsup:

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
I notice in the pictures, the "Riser" is about an Inch or 2 past the Handle Length. Is that true?? My First attempt is Firewood, second attempt has Good Grain and Natural Curvature!! That will be the Back, no doubt about it!! Got it almost all Laid out in Pencil, and wondered about "Riser Size and Handle Size".
   Sorry to be a Pain in the "Fill In The Blank" but this is an Awsome piece of White Hardwood i happened to Find at home Depot just looking around.
    Thank You For Your Help & Guidance!!
 (Gracies B-Day is May 9th, so I have a Little Time)   :goldtooth:

Offline CaptainJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
Yeah, just enough for the arrow to pass is good.
I go about 5-6 inches for adult bows and 4" for children's for the handle.

CJ

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
Thanks for the Info.!!!

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
Ok.....'Nother Silly Question. I have it Roughed out, and want to Rough cut the Limb Thickness to begin Tillering. Any Suggestions as to a Thickness to "Taper the Limb Thickness" from about 3/8 at the Fades all the way to the Tips right now.
  Any and All Input is Appreciated!! I have Pictures to Post, I just havent put them on Photobucket Yet.  :goldtooth:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
Just start scraping both evenly until it bends evenly and you like the draw weight and length, odds are you wont have much taper at all, pretty even from fade to tip if the bow is a shorty. I use my jointer on youth and kids bows, anything under 40#. I cut both width and thickness tapers in and get it very floor tillered in minutes compared to hours. My elbows and shoulders are grateful for the break!

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
Thanks for the Info! I am among the Jointerless, so I am gonna' Scrape & Sand (By Hand) and Scrape some more!!
  I feel Silly asking the question I did, I kinda'  "Hollered Before I Was Hurt"  as they say. I got to Whittling away with my Little Plane, 1 1/2 wide, and started to slice small shavings and its coming along now, bending pretty well, considering that I had a Hand in it! hahahha  :readit:    :goldtooth:

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
OOPS.....  :banghead:    :banghead:

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©