Author Topic: Floppy leather rest questions  (Read 272 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Floppy leather rest questions
« on: March 13, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
I just built an osage self bow and for the first time I shot it in off my knuckle and fell in love with that syle fast. I thought about possibly using a bit of a floppy leather rest for reference only and a touch of help holding the arrow. My concern is my feathers getting ripped off, and how much "flop" do you need? Pics would be helpful if anybody has some readily available. If there are other ways to roll or form the top of my grip for a reference tool, feel free to suggest. Thanks

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Floppy leather rest questions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
Now thats cheezy easy Pat! I like it.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
Thank the Ferret! d;^)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
Hey Pearl I love shooting off my knuckle. If I'm makin an elb or indian style bow I always just wrap my grip a couple of inches above center and put a mark on the side of it where my arrow should be takin off from. Like vanilla said with properly spined arrows they dont even touch my hand.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
I'm another knuckle shooter.  I don't use the floppy rest, I just either insert a small leather wedge in the top of the wrap, or do the wrap with a fold at the top.   I'm kind of limited in my picture handling right now, I'm getting everything into a new computer. (Slight pause while I scream!)

If you want to see examples, go to my site at:  www.dickwightman.com    Click on Archery Activities...  then on "Gallery".  Bunch of my bows there.   Look at "Road Trip", "Look at Me", "Bamboozle" and "Chocolate Moose".   They show good examples of both approaches.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
Cool, I'll remember that one. Thanks for asking PD
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
I also enjoy shooting off the top of my knuckle, but some type of arrow indicator is nice to have. Hand placement just isn't enough for me, so the last bow I made that shoots off the knuckle I incorporated an indicator into the top of my leather grip. I took the top 1/4" or so of the leather and rolled it under, then tied the leather wrap in place around my handle. This left a nice fold at the top of the leather wrap that the arrow sits nicely on. What I like about it the most is there is zero contact with any part of anything except the side of the bow itself. I think this allows for a much cleaner release and arrow flight. Maybe that's why this little bend in the handle flatbow is so dang accurate? No shelf or anything to deflect my arrow upon release? I dunno, all I do know is that I really like it. One last thing, I stuck a cloth or actually flexible fabric band aid on the side of the bow where the arrow sits just above the leather wrap so it wouldn't make noise when I draw. I could hear the arrow sliding along the side of the bow as I drew and it irritated me. The fabric band aid quieted the arrow draw instantly.

BTW- What ever happened to the Ferret? He wasn't around when I joined back in Aug. 2010, but I've heard alot about him.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
I'll be 61 in July and my skin gets thinner each year. I like shooting off my hand too but it doesn't take much anymore to slice my skin so I started using the floppy rest. Best thing since sliced bread. Still feels like shooting off the hand but with a little protection. I wrap the leading end of all my fletching and have for years. That used to do the trick but not in the last year or so.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
I second everything Pat has said thus far!  I do the very same.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
Here's a couple....I use Ferret's pattern that Pat posted.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 07:07:00 AM »
Thanks for sll the tips. I think I am leaning towards a combo of a rolled top and very slight tab like Pat posted.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©