3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best 3 D deer target  (Read 490 times)

Offline Stykbow62

• Trad Bowhunter
Best 3 D deer target
« on: February 18, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
I want a new 3 D deer target. Which one do ya'll think is the best as far as durability goes ?
Bob Lee Sig. Recurve 15" Riser 56@28"
Quinn Stallion Recurve 60@28"
Roland Jenkins Recurve 54@28"

Offline Keith Deters

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best 3 D deer target
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
If you don't shoot broadheads at it, Morrel Bionic buck.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »
If your not set on it being a deer. I would opt for the Rinehart  18/1 target. Shoot it out in a year and ya can get a new one. Look in the sponsors Mike's Archery Leather good guy and a Rinehart dealer. Make sure you pick up one of his arm guards too  :thumbsup:  TOP NOTCH..
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »
I would recomment a Rienhart!!  They are awesome targets, they take abuse and arrows pull out like a hot knife through butter!!  A little pricey but well worth it!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
Rienhart targets are suppose to the best. I have never shot one but they are suppose to take the abuse of  being shot at a lot and hold up under constant UV conditions.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
Don't buy the GlenDel Buck with the marked vitals. I think I paid $189 for it and shot both sides of the vitals out in a month. Junk, in my book......I do shoot alot though, but I've got a Aimrite Black Bear (I think they are made by Mckenzie)that I paid $79 for (on sale)at Dicks,and I've shot it for three years now and it's still in good shape. I haven't found a deer target yet with that kind of stamina. If you find a good one let me know what it is, Please! DAVE
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Reinhart by far!
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
we have several of the rinehart targets.......you cant go wrong with them
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
I've got one of those Aimrite/backyard bear targets from McKenzie and it is a tough son of a gun. The only deer targets I've tried are McKenzie, Delta, and Blueridge.  McKenzie is much better. I did something to my target that really helped it last longer. I painted it with brush on paint until it wouldn't take anymore (several coats). Then I spray painted the details back on so it would look better.  

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
Reinhart   :thumbsup:

Offline Stykbow62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
Thanks for everyone's input !!!
Bob Lee Sig. Recurve 15" Riser 56@28"
Quinn Stallion Recurve 60@28"
Roland Jenkins Recurve 54@28"

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
Mckenzie are much better for trad than rineharts any day....save ya some money ...McKENZIE
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
I got a Glendel buck recently and am liking it pretty well so far. Too soon to say how durable it is, but it seems to be doing pretty well.

It has been my experience that any 3D target(regardless of price) will quickly turn to garbage if you shoot broadheads with it. I shoot only field tips in mine and buy a cheap BH target for BH practice.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »
Reinhart targets have easy arrow removal, last a long time, and have a good selection to choose from. Plus they are pretty expensive.

Delta/Mckenzie targets are at times a pain to pull an arrow from, are very durable but not quite as durable than the Reinhart, also have a good selection, and can be a lot cheaper in price than the Reinhart depending on the model. There are also the more expensive, higher end models. If you are an ASA or IBO shooter you may want to opt for these targets as they are what is being used.

The Glendel has the easiest arrow removal, and is also the least duable of all the targets I have had. Replacement mids are not too expensive and you get the choice of 4 different vitals if you go with full rut version. The Glendel falls into the mid to upper range as far as price goes.

IMO all the targets mentioned are good in one way or another you just have to decide and buy one.

Offline Selfyewdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 12:31:00 AM »
I found this site and ordered the delta buck.  It looks great, works great, and I am happy with the purchase.  Price was one of the better one's I could  
 find, also.  I got the backyard buck legend for 76.99

http://turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/store/store-3darcherytargetsdept.htm#3-D%20WHITETAIL%20DEER%20TARGETS
74" Pacific Yew Classic English Yew Longbow 60#@29"

62" Pronghorn 3pc takedown 60#@28"

68" Custom Hickory longbow 52#@28"

Louisiana Traditional Bowman member, ARTAC member, BLBS member

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 01:43:00 AM »
I too bought a Glendel Buck this year.  I chose the one with the standard layered insert, because of the poor durability I had with the Block 4x4 (vitals insert is like a mini block 4x4).  So far, so good.  Just field points, but like Mark, I'm not going to shoot broadheads at my semi-expensive 3-D target.  Arrow removal is not "slick as butter" by any means, but it's not nearly as hard as vitals miss on the cheaper, harder, Deltas, etc.
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 07:34:00 AM »
I thought the layered vital might have been better also. The Glendel deer is so cheaply built though. My 10 year old daughter broke the head off of mine the first day that I had it. The head is only held on by a 2"x2" piece of foam. I've talked to a couple fellas on the 3D courses who said they broke theirs just removing it from the box it came in.

Curt, your right about the block 4x4. I should have known better. I go through about 3 of them a year. I also don't shoot BHs at my G Buck.  DAVE
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »
If you got the funds, reinhart is without a doubt the best. These targets can take a pounding.

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »
My wife got me a glendale at a discount price. I never would have bought it because of the way it looks. I've been just as happy with it as a delta or mackenzie. The arrows pull easy. A big downside is if you shoot from an elevated place. The arrow going in at a downward angle tears the layers up real fast. A broadhead ruins it right away. Mines thre years old now and left outside every day. It still works but I can't compress the layers very good because the frame is in bad shape but I am still shooting at it. If you shoot most any 3-d target from several different angles they don't last as long. I would love to have a rinehart. Mike

Offline Smilingg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
Best=Reinhart

Second Best=Mckenzie Natra-Look

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©