Author Topic: When Cutting a New Form?  (Read 332 times)

Offline matts2

• Trad Bowhunter
When Cutting a New Form?
« on: March 14, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
I am working on a design for a R/D bow form and wondering about cutting out the shape.  It will be a two piece for with air hose compression.  When cutting the two pieces, do they need to have a certain gap cut into them or does line to line work fine with using a air hose.  Basically, do you need to cut out the thickness of the bow plus some for the hose?

I have a plotter/cutter and I am going to cut out a template on adhesive vinyl (decal vinyl) so I can peel and stick for a actual size template.  I can design the offset in the pattern at whatever offset I need.  Just not sure how much is needed if any.

Thanks
Matt

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When Cutting a New Form?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
Hey Matt,
Take a look at the instrunctions on Kennym's website.  I followed his plan on my form and it works great.  I sawed it out on a band saw and then followed up by using a router and smoothed up the surface.
David

Offline matts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
I have frequented his instructions quite a bit and see he mentions 1.25" offset.  Is that standard or anything in that ballpark will work?
Matt

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
For a longbow a 1.25" gap from the top and bottom sections is about right.  Remember you will have a riser in there as well.

On a recurve I usually end up with 1", given  the lam stack is alot thinner.

Offline matts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
Thanks Brad.  I need to stop by some time and take a look at yours again.
Matt

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
I have the 1.25" built into mine.  Works good for me.  Things do get a little tight if your riser is pretty big.  Make sure you make yourself some pressure strips for the limbs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©