Author Topic: Wood combo question.....  (Read 404 times)

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood combo question.....
« on: March 14, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
I have a love/hate relationship with Red Oak, but I recently found a 1x4x8 with beautiful grain and had to take it home.  For my trade bow I was wanting to build a Hickory backed Cherry but after two attempts coming up light I am moving on.  

I have a couple of options....  I'm thinking of a simple Hickory backed Red Oak with glued in reflex and flipped tips (would be a pretty safe combination).  Or, a tri-lam with Hickory/Cherry/Red Oak built on a R/D form from Binghams.  

What do you seasoned bowyers think would be the best combination?  If I go with the simple HBRO, would I need to trap the back so the Hickory doesn't overpower the RO?  With the Tri-lam, what layout dimensions would be good for a bow over 50#?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood combo question.....
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
I have a super sweet hickory backed red oak I love. I glued in 6" of refex and 2.5" of deflex. Its 1 1/2" wide at the fades and 63" long o/a. Its probably one of my quietest, smoothest bows I own. If you choose this combo, make sure the hickory is extra thin .100" or slightly less, or the oak on your tips will be thinner than the back. I trapped mine slighty and left the belly flat as a pancake.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
One more thing...Im not a seasoned bowyer. I just enjoy building them.

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
Thanks guys.  VB...not a bad idea on the heat treating first.  Since I mainly use TBIII it may release if I heat it after the glue up.  Although thinking back I have heated a few bows and haven't had one release yet... Hmmm...  :)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
I have made some nice hickory backed red oak bows. One in particular is a 66" pyramid, 2 1/2" at the fades and a straight taper to 3/8" tips. She pulls 46#@26" and is an excellent shooter.
  I have let lots of different folks shoot this bow. Some have pulled it to 30" with no ill effects. I don't suggest letting others over pull a wood bow but I wanted to see if it could take it and it has. It still holds a bit of it's original reflex.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
Thanks Pat, what thickness did you start with on the hickory?  I was figuring 1/8" but PD had a good point with probably going thinner to begin with.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
1/8" hickory backing
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©