Author Topic: String slap w/ first selfbow  (Read 476 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
String slap w/ first selfbow
« on: March 15, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Just curious why I would get string slap with this selfbow. It hits me right above my wrist...? It shoots right where I'm looking. But man it's a tough price to pay for hitting the bullseye! haha   :saywhat:
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String slap w/ first selfbow
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
Lower brace heights on self bows will do that to you sometimes. A straight grip can also play a part. I wear my gaurd 100% of the time shooting mine.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
I have it braced at 5" for this 60" bow. I was just surprised that it would occur down by my wrist and not on the forearm.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
5" may be a touch on the low side, try twisting it up a little at a time until you get to 6" and see what happens. If your brace is too low your string isnt hitting home and staying, it may be bouncing back on you. Its no biggy, just adjust your brace a little and see if it gets better for you. Keep in mind your brace may also adjust your tiller if you built the bow to 5" of brace to start with. Go easy and keep your eyes open for changes.

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
I never wear a bracer.  All my selfbows will bite my wrist just above the hand when braced at 5 inches.  Try increasing to 6 inches but don't go much past 6 because it ain't healthy for the bow.  At 6 inches I never get the slightest contact with the string.
John
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
David,
What type of handle did you have on the selfbow, straight, bulbous, pistol, ect...?  Is the grip the same or different then the bows you normally shoot?  Are you griping your bow different?  I grip straight handle bows differently by palming the entire grip area then other types and need to wear and arm guard when shooting those type bows.  When palming the grip it rotates my arm closer to the string.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
That's it Walt. It has a straight, slightly rounded grip. I found it likes to be shot with the full palm of my hand in contact with the grip area. I think I'll try it with a little higher brace height.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
With a low brace height you will also hear the arrow hitting the side of the bow. What you have to do is increase it slowly and shoot. See if that helps. My bows are braced 7-7.25 in string to back of handle. Jawge

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
I think Walt is correct. It is much easier for that round grip to rotate because of torque possibly requiring your palm to be moved a bit to the side to counter those forces.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
So is the 5" brace doesnt raise any questions for anybody else? I know self bows require lesser brace, but 5" wouldnt get my feathers off my shelf. The lowest on all my bows is 6 1/4" and up from there. Maybe Im doing something wrong?

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
Selfbows don't require a lower brace, people brace them low with the impression that they will last longer.

I brace mine about 6.5 inches.  If that causes too much stress, I didn't design it right.

The only time I use a bracer is if I have a short sleeved shirt on.  Not that I need it, but just in case of a bad release.

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
I have to agree 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 is what I try to achieve with my bows. I had some wrist slap with one of my first bows it had a 5 1/2 inch brace increased it to 6 1/2 and worked great
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"
"I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul"

10 Year Active Army Disabled Vet.

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
seems like just the other day I had the same question on here and just about the same answers,I increased the brace and no more slapping.
john 3:16

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
Another thing, if you string is not centered on your handle and to the left a little it is more likely to slap your wrist. I agree with low brace height being part of the problem, 6" or a little more is where I set mine on selfbows.

B-50 also follows the arrow more than fast flight and is more likely to slap you. I use D-97 for this reason on some of my bows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©