Author Topic: Splinter on limb  (Read 399 times)

Offline fox2009

• Trad Bowhunter
Splinter on limb
« on: March 15, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
I have worked on a hickory board bow and now that i finished tillering, I have noticed a small splinter rising on the back of one limb.  My question is, is it repairable or do i need to back it with something? If I need to back it can i just back the area of the splinter or do i need to do the whole bow? Any help would be helpfull.

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Splinter on limb
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
Where is the splinter at and how big is it? I had a pretty big splinter raise up on the back of a hickory bow awhile back and some of the guys on here suggested I glue it down with superglue then rap it in dental floss and then cover the dental floss with superglue. It has held up so far. Heres a pic.

When I finished it I rapped it with hemp cordage on both limbs and the grip.

Offline fox2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
The splinter is on the edge of about mid limb. The size is 1/2 inch wide and about 1 inch  long.  However I tried to use tightbond III on it and it didnt work. I would like to use this bow for hunting this year so I would want some ideas on wrapings for the weather conditions during hunting.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
Why didn't the titebond work? Did you clamp it after glueing and wrap it once cured?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fox2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
The splinter is very thin and I didnt allow it to grow anymore than when I first found it.  I tried to push glue under it, but I am not sure if I got any under it or not.  I was thinking of wrapping it in leather. Is this a good choice or do i need to use something else. Also do I need to wrap it with something before i use the leather?

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
I have just grown to love using elk sinew for fixes.  It drys hard as a rock.  And basically gets better with age.  Magic stuff.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
I wouldn't use leather because it is to heavy. I would use silk thread or some kind of full length backing like rawhide or sinew. Maybe even a hickory backing. Being in IL. you may not get the best performane from hickory because of the humidity here in the midwest. I would fix it with silk or a full backing, but thats just me. I know the last bow I had that developed an issue I origionaly wrapped with epoxy and high performance, zero creep bowstring, but was never happy so I pulled it off and sinewed the whole bow ( it was only 58in. ) and am finally happy with it. Whatever you do show us with pictures and ask questions.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©