Author Topic: I made my first cane shafted arrow with Obsidian point  (Read 1060 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
I made my first cane shafted arrow with Obsidian point
« on: March 15, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
I was messing around in my garage yesterday while it was cold, wet, and nasty out. I had about 4 stalks of river cane up in the rafters of my garage that have been there for over a year. So I snatched one down from there and went to work on it. I used my heat gun to straighten it and that worked very well. This stuff is kind of a pain to straighten, but once you get it straight it looks really good. I sanded the nodes and affixed a stone Obsidian point that a fellow trad ganger sent me, he's just getting started knapping and I thought this would be a fine way to use one.
(Thanks Mike)

The turkey feathers are mine and the lashing around the point is B50 string material, then super glue soaked to keep it tight. I don't have any pine tar so I had to improvise with the super glue. The red string on each end and through the fletching is red sewing thread. Then the yellow below the nock is also B50.
It's mostly for looks, but I built it to have the ability to kill if I was so inclined to use it someday.....otherwise what's the point in making it? Right?
I'm positive that it's plenty lethal and I was really surprised how nice the natural taper adds some awesome FOC balance to the completed shaft. All total arrow wt. came out to around 575gr. which would be just perfect for anything you wanted to put it into.

Thanks for looking!
~SEMO~

~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I made my first cane shafted arrow with Obsidian point
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Good job, SEMO! Nice looking arrow. Gonna finish a full set?
Stan

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
Thanks Stan!
Not sure yet? I really do like the looks of them and plenty sturdy. As far as a completed arrow goes, these cane arrows are built like a Kenworth!
I'm trying to get permission to cut some more cane and if I do I'll probably make myself a complete set. I'll have to talk to my buddy Mike and see if he can hook me up with a set of matched Obsidian heads. I already found out that I am No flint knapper by any stretch of the imagination.   :knothead:

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
Good job, Better than my first arrow, After I glued the feather on I went to wrap it and it flipped over sideways and go glued on sideways... but that was before I knew to wrap one end then glue it them wrap the other...
Chris

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Looks like a sissy pants arrow to me.. :)

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
You have done will my friend, sure looks like a keeper for sure.  Now all you need is a deer at about 15 yards and you are in business for sure.
Always say what you mean, that way people will know you mean what you say.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Looks like a sissy pants arrow to me..  :)  
Well Roy, I was going to tie a set of testicles to the point end, but I thought it would give it too much FOC.   :goldtooth:

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 12:11:00 AM »
Nice looking arrow, Semo.   A secret about straightening cane and hardwood shoots is to do it is a few sessions. Start with the worst bends. Work a few at a time and let it cool. Then heat again and go to the next area, straighten a few and let it cool again. If you don't let the shaft cool you will rebend the ones you just took out. I try not to work two areas next to each other.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 03:11:00 AM »
looks great semo

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
Nice looking arrow, Semo.   A secret about straightening cane and hardwood shoots is to do it is a few sessions. Start with the worst bends. Work a few at a time and let it cool. Then heat again and go to the next area, straighten a few and let it cool again. If you don't let the shaft cool you will rebend the ones you just took out. I try not to work two areas next to each other.
Yep, I found that out real quick and you have to be careful while doing it also or you'll burn your hands if you forget which spot you just straightened. I started at one end and worked my way down the length of the shaft, then when I went to turn it around I grabbed ahold of a spot that wasn't cool yet....ouch!   "[dntthnk]"  
That stuff stays hot longer than I ever thought it would!

Hey Pat, have you ever tried a hot water bath and then lay them flat on a board or something to straighten them?? Just curious if that would work?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
Nice arrow Chris, here are some I did.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Very nice Roy!

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Nice job Semo! I like that arrow. Looks tough!

Good advice Pat. I've had trouble getting cane to straighten and stay straight while I worked on other areas. You are a wealth of knowledge!

Roy yours look great too! I especially like those feathers in the background. Looks like you spliced black on the rear of turkey feathers. Cool!
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Very nice work. Jawge

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Nice arrows guys! You know them cane arrows air only good for groundhogs don't you? Good eatin' critters too! You reckon thats why ol' Roy got so many!   Art

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
We've got our share of ground pigs, but I've never had the desire to put an arra in one. I've heard the small ones are quite tasty?

Yes, this can is some tough stuff! This one I made spined out at .400 and I've only broke one of them so far. That was only because I didn't take my time straightening it the right way before I knew what was going on and didn't get it hot enough before I put pressure on it. It didn't actually break the cane, but snapped right at the node, more like seperated than broke.

I've got 3 more good stalks in the garage, I think I'll finish those up as well and maybe have enough to hunt with.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
Chris how do they spine compared to wood? I have heard they will cover a wider poundage range. I shoot 31" arrows and most of my bows are 55#-60#. Wood arrows require 65-70 spine for me, can I expect the same in cane?

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
I can answer that for you Pearl. Since cane/bamboos are naturally tapered you'll need to add an additional 10-15# of spine to allow for the extra weight forward. You might not get the spine for the length you need and still keep a decent point diameter using cane. You'll be needing some type of bamboo, perhaps tonkin, bambuse, sasa or Japanese bamboo for your needs........Art

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
Sounds like too much work for me Art! I will stick with my Spruce for now. Thanks for the answer.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
This one came out at .400 spine which is comparable to a 2117. I just shot it out of my 40# flatbow and it shot like a dart. I haven't shot it out of my 48# Grizzly yet. I figure I should be good to at least #50 or so?
I dunno, I'm new at using river cane so I'll just have to play around with it if I decide to use them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©