Author Topic: Newb preparring first glass build??  (Read 350 times)

Offline matts2

• Trad Bowhunter
Newb preparring first glass build??
« on: March 16, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
Alright, I decided it's time to go for it and try and glass bow.  I have my form plans laid out and will start building the form probably tonight.  Last night I ordered a hose from Bingham's and also .030 black and clear glass.  The design will be a R/D design probably 68" ntn.  The choices I have for cores are elm, black locust and I will be getting some actionboo from home depot.  My goal is 45-50#, closer to 50#.  The core lams will all be parallel cut as I can't taper anything evenly.  What should I do with the cores at what thicknesses?

Below is the form design I will be making in case that matters.

Matt

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newb preparring first glass build??
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
Interesting...TTT
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
Binghams uses a reverse taper in their T/D longbow essentially a parallel stack. They have a weight chart in the catalog.
You will likely have to build one to get your weight benchmark with any new form.

Offline matts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
I have looked at that chart and been conversing with another member here.  I am working on a sled tonight so I can make tapered lams in my planer.  I started on the form as well.  

For the bow, I will be going down to a 64" ntn per suggestions for this type of bow.  Also putting a total of 3 degree taper.

PV, I read where Bingham's mentioned reverse taper.  I am not sure what that is referring to.
Matt

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
Matt this is probably a stupid question but how do you make a sled for your planer to taper with??

Offline matts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
D.
 I was told to mount your new sled that will have a taper planed on it on top of a parallel sled.  Prop one end up at your desired pitch and run it.  I haven't tried it yet and I will probably end up making it more complicated.  But sounds easy enough.
Matt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©