Author Topic: Finishing My Bow Blank  (Read 281 times)

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Finishing My Bow Blank
« on: March 19, 2011, 12:38:00 AM »

Offline Mike/Columbia Basin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finishing My Bow Blank
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 01:49:00 AM »
A coat of finish should be added to the fiberglass also but I don't put as many coats on fiberglass as I do the wood. I haven't used tru oil on glass before but I would bet a couple good coats would be enough.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 02:16:00 AM »
Do I need to sand / Scuff the glass too?

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 06:31:00 AM »
The entire bow should be sanded prior to starting your finish. You MUST get the hard SHINE off the glass for the finish to stick. Tru-oil will be fine on the glass as well. 220grit paper
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
TWO TRACKS: thanks for your advice on the Limbs I have been reading that the limbs can be scuffed and oiled as well I will probably go that rout.

I'm still very unclear however About the SUPER GLUE step.  Do I want to do this?

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
Superglue is used to seal and fill in the grain proir to finishing Matty. Not necessary but many of us use it for that purpose. It sets quicker than most finishes making it ready to sand sooner.Depending on the grain it can take MANY coats to fill the grain. You an do the same thing with tru oil it just takes more coats.When I finish a bow with tru oil I get the wood just about finished before putting any on the glass.Final two or three thin coats will put a nice finish on the glass.
Good luck

Paul

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Hey Paul, Good to hear from you!
I went the rout of using DEFT Spray, I just finished my 3Rd coat and it seems to be turning out really nice.  With the exception if a damn Hair of steel wool I just noticed in the limb.  I could probably buff it out before the Next coat..  I think when I do my Bamboo Backed (no glass) bows I'll use the tru Oil.  Seems to be the way.  As always thanks for your help, I have been thinking of your help (last year) the whole time..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©