Author Topic: The Traveling Caul Design **Clamp Problem Resolved*Final Pics, Project Complete**  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Bryan Bondurant

• Trad Bowhunter
Address Sent, Thanks so much!

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
quote:
Originally posted by SEMO_HUNTER:
Looks real good to me Lee!    :knothead:      :knothead: )
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Lee, steam is the only way I had ever done it and it works fantastic. You don't have to bend the entire bow all at once, you can just do one half at a time. I use a big kettle like we use for canning vegetables, I've got 2 of them so the oldest one became my wood steaming kettle.

Fill it about 6-8" deep with water and put it on top of my turkey deep fryer stand and crank it up! Get the water boiling real good then turn down the heat to just keep the water boiling and place the main part of one limb over the kettle. Cover with aluminum foil so you get an even steam and let it go for 30-45 min. depending on how thick your stave is.

It's easy.   :thumbsup:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Lee I have the same problem, I can't keep my finger off of one once I start. LOL I find it easier to have 4 or 5 going so I can bounce back and forth from one to another to keep myself from getting into to much of a hurry.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
Cool, thanks for the tips guys.  Sounds easy enough that even I can handle it    :thumbsup:

Stiks, I didn't get the pattern in the mail yesterday like I had hoped but it did go out today so you should see it by Thursday I think...
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Well I got the pattern a week or so ago and got my caul built. I forgot pics. I did sign it and date it and I need to know who I need to mail it to.

Stiks
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Never mind I just went through some PM's and found that I need to send it to Bryan.

I'll get it in the mail this week.
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
No pics? C'mon man, that ain't fair. You know how we like to see pics of everybody else's work.   :goldtooth:

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
Alright here are some pics of my first caul. This is an Ipe with Bamboo backing.

This is a pic when I steamed the 2 woods and bent them into shape on the caul.
     here it is during the glue up. I used an old water hose cut it and put it on top of my form so I could apply even pressure with minimal clamps it helps me get a good glue line. I am poor what can I say.

I have since glued on a nice riser with bocote  and purpleheart accents and purple heart tip overlays which I will post tom.
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"
"I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul"

10 Year Active Army Disabled Vet.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Looks good Lester, I like the tip about the old garden hose. I wish I had thought of that when I glued my BBO up. I layered cardboard on my caul so the nodes on the boo would have something to cushion them and it worked ok, but wasn't quite what I wanted. The cardboard has too much give to it and will allow the backing to lean a little rather than laying perfectly flat. I'll have to try that next time around.
Can't wait to see more pics.   :thumbsup:

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks Chris I am just to cheap to by a form or air hose set up I try and make everything that I can.
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
Great tip on the garden hose!  (my boy's Lab chewed one up the other day and I was just gonna toss it in the trash, now I won't!)

That Boo/Ipe looks SWEET!  You boys that are already pulling bows off your Caul's are killing me.  Guess I need to see if I can't find some Boo/Lams for a build.

Stiks, you all set with who you got to send the pattern too or do you need the addy again?
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
Lee,
     Check out **** I found some great Boo on there and the Ipe. Sometimes you can find them as a package for about 40 bucks. If your interested let me know. The garden hose was just plain ole dumb luck. I had to improvise for my caul and it worked great. I have another on the caul now.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
i use a layer of the insulating styrofoam on the caul for bamboo.
lately, i wrap some sandpaper around a suitably sized mandrel, and sand a concave depression in the foam lengthwise- that cradles the bamboo nicely- masking tape the foam to the caul and do a dry run, and press, by hand, at the node points, to create a depression in the foam for the nodes- so that i dont have to do that when the glue is on, and inadvertently squeeze out the glue,
then glue up and band or clamp down- carefully re-aligning the nodes with the depressions,
i prefer bands- get a more even pressure- no high pressure spots- they are more work though!!!

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Lee I got the addy in my pm's. I need to get several things together to put in the mail so it will go out towards the end of the week.

stiks
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
Oops I said the E word that I must not be able to say. Lee if you need to know where to get some Boo send me a PM.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
When you use the stryofoam insulating board, is it the stuff with the foil backing? How do you get it to conform to the shape of the caul? I don't think it's very flexible is it?

I need to come up with a piece of rubber about 1/4" thick that will lay flat on the caul surface for doing bamboo glue ups. I may look at Tractor Supply or somewhere like that and see what they have. Sometimes they have those big mats that they put inside horse trailers and you can get them in varying thicknesses.
That would offer all the strenth and support needed, yet would let the nodes squash down in it without damage.......I think?

Offline fedora

• Trad Bowhunter
Love the bows and design.  Can someone send me the design.  Do you guys pass it around traced on paper?  I would really appriciate it.

George

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
its the blue or pink syrofoam,- usually 2' by 8', no foil backing- thats not to say the stuff you are describing, wont work!! i just dont know the material you are describing.- i get the one inch thick stuff.- the sheets  kind of lap joint on the edges.
i was surprised, but it will follow the caul shape just fine- one could even rip it down to half inch- it would then bend even better, and then you get x2 for your money.
it was the only thing i found that would give the support, but was adaptable enough to accept node depressions.
one has to press the nodes in during the dry glue up- otherwise  one still might land up with high pressure spots at the nodes during glue up.
and sanding the concave depression( took a minute!!)
really made a huge difference.
i have made more than one bow per foam layer, as the next layup will not correspond exactly with those little depressions where the old nodes were,but are not enough to adversly effect the next glue up's pressure.
g'luck
wayne

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by fedora:
Love the bows and design.  Can someone send me the design.  Do you guys pass it around traced on paper?  I would really appriciate it.

George
Sent you a pm....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©