Author Topic: The Traveling Caul Design **Clamp Problem Resolved*Final Pics, Project Complete**  (Read 2504 times)

Offline chuprinko

• Trad Bowhunter
Another idea for the layer is cove base. I saw it used a while back. I just picked up a big roll of it from a corporate buildings scraps. Its very smooth, about 3/16"-1/4"wide, hard but flexible, is usually aboput 4-6" wide so it can be cut to any caul/form width.

Neil
didn't understand - now I do.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by chuprinko:
Another idea for the layer is cove base. I saw it used a while back. I just picked up a big roll of it from a corporate buildings scraps. Its very smooth, about 3/16"-1/4"wide, hard but flexible, is usually aboput 4-6" wide so it can be cut to any caul/form width.

Neil
Good idea Neil, I had not thought of that. About 2-3" wide would be perfect too.
Thanks for the tip.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
The traveling cual makes another round....  sent off this AM to Fedora...

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Back to the top for a new bowyer.
Here you go Chromebuck! Enjoy.

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
I am about to post some pics of my finished bow off of the caul I have been really busy with it and should have some pics tom. It is the bamboo and Ipe I did a custom wrapped handle with extra padding underneath its pretty cool.
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"
"I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul"

10 Year Active Army Disabled Vet.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Can't wait to see it Stone, more importantly.........how's it shoot and is it quick? How quick?   :thumbsup:    :goldtooth:

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
It shoots good and it has some zip to it.
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"

Offline Johnny_Cash

• Trad Bowhunter
I would love to get a copy of this.  I have a bow in mind that's ready to be built, all I need is a well designed caul such as this one to make it happen!

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
We need to find out who has the pattern, and get them to pass it along to ya JC.
If it can't be located let me know and I'll make you a copy myself.

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
Here ya go semo  this is s close to being finished as I got it. I had to much fun shooting it so I didn't even bother with anything else. I chose to pad the handle with a shoe insole.(new of course)lol
I actually stitched it into the leather then stcitched the leather with sinew.
[/url] [/IMG]   [/url] [/IMG]

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
I forgot to mention it is a bend through the handle design.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Semo, I have the pattern and need to get it in the mail. TO many irons in the fire I guess. I'll get it in a day or two.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks stiks, Johhny Cash was asking about it.

Stone- Great job! So I take it that it shoots pretty good since you can't put it down long enough to put a couple coats of finish on it?   :thumbsup:

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
I have since finished it twice but it is hard to put down.

Offline tishtail

• Trad Bowhunter
Hi could you please send me the traveling caul design, looks like something 1  would like to try,  this design seem really well thought out and improved as it went through defferent handlers. may i offer another type of pressure fill like the hose try and find or teack down a older farmer they used a belt from there tractor pto made of leather 3inches wide very flexable some had nylon like material covering this belt most are plenty maybe 20 feet of belt check farmer auction if you can't find this type of belt e-mail me i can get this stuff or can find it easllyi live in a farming community thank  lawrence

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
The belt may work. I don't know who has the design anymore I passed it on a while back and then I think it was passed again. I may be able to create you one if no one passes it on. Let me know if you get it.

Offline Kiwi craig

• Trad Bowhunter
Hi tradgang guys,
 I have been visiting your site for a while now .What a great place.
I have slowly been gathering all the materials needed to build my first real bow.Is there any chance the travelling caul can make a trip to New Zealand? A proven design would be a real help at this stage
Cheers
Craig

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm not sure where the Caul pattern is at the moment Craig but if you can PM me your shipping info I'll trace mine (it was made off the pattern that Semo sent me) and send it over to you.

Thanks~
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Lighterknot

• Trad Bowhunter
Sorry for bumping a 5 year old thread, but I'm hoping someone still has the pattern or dimensions for this caul?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©