Author Topic: Form lining help  (Read 306 times)

Offline Badwithabow

• Trad Bowhunter
Form lining help
« on: March 22, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
hey guys I'm building a new form and its a curvy one but anyway i'm having a devil of time getting the aluminum to conform to it. Its a laminated mdf form wondering if anything else could be used, if you have to use anything at all.

My next step is to take my propane burner and try to heat it up a lil bit. any help appreciated.
Brandon Moore
Rome,Ga

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Form lining help
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
I have only used 040 black glass on my forms,I have heard of some that use Formica.  KennyM says he gets his so perfectly smooth that he dosen't use anything.. maybe the aluminum is too thick or the form isn't pefectly square and the metal is twisting and lifting??

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
On the last few forms I haven't used anything, I use bondo to fill any voids in the surface and sand them smooth. Prior to that I used formica.I haven't seen any difference not using the formica.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:48:00 AM »
Are you using an air hose system? if your aluminum pressure strips are more than 3/32" thick until you air up the first time they will be stubborn. after the first lay up they'll be shaped to the form nicely though....   ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©