Author Topic: Measuring Glue  (Read 947 times)

Offline matts2

• Trad Bowhunter
Measuring Glue
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
How do you measure out your glues?  For stuff like smooth-on that calls out a 1-1 by volume, but that stuff is so thick, its hard.  I normally try to measure by weight, but usually the resin and hardener aren't the same to begin with.  Just not sure if there is an easy way or not.
Matt

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Measuring Glue
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
I use a teaspoon and get it close as I can. My personal opinion is it doesnt have to be labratory close to work jsut fine. URAC is 2-1 and I use my teasppon measure with success.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
You can also get a cheap digital scale from harbor frieght. I use a scale for my measurements.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
I have built over 10 bows with smooth on.. and have always eye balled it... never had a separation problem yet.

I use scrap wood to scoop out and make a clump of each and just make sure both clumps look about equal..

I also look for the overall color when mixed.. should be a milky yellow for smooth on.. if it is to white, add more yellow... too yellow.. add more white.

Again, never had a problem.
God gave you hands, use them

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
For Smooth-on we are often told it is best at a 50/50, but on the can it says to improve bonding characteristics you can add more of the white stuff than the yellow...as much as 2 to 1. So, when I mix it up, I shoot for the 50/50 but if I have doubt I will add a bit more of the white just to make sure I don't go on the low side with the white stuff. I probably end up with about 55/45 or something like that. When my cans are almost empty, I will have a little of the yellow left over, but not much at all. If memmory serves me correctly, that is part A...but double check please. It's been a while since I read the can.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
I use 3 fluid oz plastic cups, the ones used in bathrooms.. filled to the top..I have been using large wooden popsicle sticks to put glue in cups. I use 1 and 1/2 cups of each part but mix two 3oz cups of each part.. yes I waste plenty of glue but so far no problems

Offline CaptainJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
I go down to the pharmacy and get some oral dosing syringes.

Use one syringe for each part of the epoxy. You can draw the fluid right out of the can and measure it precisely.

Very clean and accurate. Sometimes I clean them, sometimes just throw them away. The pharmacy just gives them to me.

CJ

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
If you measure by weight the ratio is 100:83 resin to hardener. it takes about 1800 grains for one bow if you spread it real thin with a putty knife.

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by PEARL DRUMS:
I use a teaspoon and get it close as I can. My personal opinion is it doesnt have to be labratory close to work jsut fine. URAC is 2-1 and I use my teasppon measure with success.
PD,urac is 13 to 100. not 2 to 1. thats 13 powder to 100 liquid. i use a digital scale set to  grains. for example if i am glueing on just handle laminates. i will measure out about 21 grains powder to 150 grains liquid. this will be enough to do the job with little or no waste.don

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
My can's must be mis-marked, or Im getting real lucky that anything has stuck over the years? The instructions I have say one part hardener to two parts resin? Who knows....

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
You guys a are comparing two different measurements, one is using weight and the other is using volume.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
You may be right Walt. Volume is what I use with my teaspoon science!

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
2:1 ratio is still 2:1 whether you use volume or weight, as long as you stick with the same standard when mixing. Unless the instructions specified to use a certain unit of measure then that part is up to the user depending on how much you need to mix up. 2 teaspoons of this, plus 1 teaspoon of that. Or 2 ounces of this, plus 1 ounce of that.....it's still 2:1 ratio.

I've used plastic throw away cups with graduations on the side so I can tell how much I'm mixing, but I used to get those free from work so getting the cups wasn't a problem then. I imagine you could buy them at anywhere that sells painting supplies? I'd try just a dab first to make sure it wouldn't eat through the plastic though before I mixed up a whole batch.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Walt Francis:
You guys a are comparing two different measurements, one is using weight and the other is using volume.
your right walt. the urac can says both. 13 to 1 by weight and 1 to 2 by volume. sorry PD. my bad.don

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
I was just about ready to drive to Buffalo Don......................but the roads suck!

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
they suck here too. snow covered at the moment.don

Offline CaptainJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by SEMO_HUNTER:
2:1 ratio is still 2:1 whether you use volume or weight,.. 2 teaspoons of this, plus 1 teaspoon of that. Or 2 ounces of this, plus 1 ounce of that.....it's still 2:1 ratio.
No. Just no. If 'this' is a different density than 'that' then volume ratio and weight ratio are very different!
With URAC one part is dry and the other wet. You will have very different weight or volume ratios!

One teaspoon of 'this' may weigh twice as much as one teaspoon of 'that'. In such a case the volume ratio would be 1:1 and the weight ratio 2:1 for the same exact materials.

Consider mixing lead shavings with aluminum shavings for example.

CJ

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
I have one comment to add as far as appearence.
When properly weighed out and mixed it will be milky white, if it still is yellowish or streaky it is not mixed enough. I weigh my parts A/B exact and Ive mixed by hand moderately and with a mixer blade on a drill and I see a difference. I can get the same good mix by hand you just got to mix it alot more so dont scrimp here.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
2:1 ratios are all the same, after all ratio is ratio. But volume and weight ratio's do not translate equally. I was going to argue with you Chris, but I seen your profile pic and you got me by about an 1" and about 25#'s! Daddy didnt raise no dummy!

Offline CaptainJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
Wait. Perl, are you saying I'm in trouble here?

C'mon guys, I was just tryin' to help.   :help:  
[looks around nervously] :rolleyes:  

CJ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©