Author Topic: Measuring Glue  (Read 949 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Measuring Glue
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
You should be good, Co is quite a ways from Mo........plus I dont think he seen it yet...cross your fingers CJ!

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by CaptainJ:

Originally posted by SEMO_HUNTER:
2:1 ratio is still 2:1 whether you use volume or weight,.. 2 teaspoons of this, plus 1 teaspoon of that. Or 2 ounces of this, plus 1 ounce of that.....it's still 2:1 ratio.
No. Just no. If 'this' is a different density than 'that' then volume ratio and weight ratio are very different!
With URAC one part is dry and the other wet. You will have very different weight or volume ratios!

One teaspoon of 'this' may weigh twice as much as one teaspoon of 'that'. In such a case the volume ratio would be 1:1 and the weight ratio 2:1 for the same exact materials.

Consider mixing lead shavings with aluminum shavings for example.

CJ [/b]
Yes they will weigh more and a teaspoon will be more or less than an ounce, that's not what I'm saying!!

A 2 to 1 Ratio is STILL a 2 TO 1 Ratio NO Matter What system of Measure you USE!! Go back and read what I wrote before you try to correct me CJ.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
Semo doesn't skeer me Pearl.. I think I could out run em:) Prolly out fish him too...

I measure my Urac 13 to 100...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
Im sure you could out fish him Roybert, heck his little nephews can!

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
I mix it with bamboo laths that are about 10 inches long. One about a half in wide and the other 3/8 or so. I take a glob of white with the big one and a glob of amber with the little one. generally aobut 2 1/2 globs of each. Mix for three minutes. Mixing time is crucial. Check color a good off white is the ticket. I usually have a bout a third of a can of the yellow left. The ticket is to err on the side of more resin than hardner. My limbs always cook the same amount of time and I have never ever had a delamination. It must work so why change it. LOL

Globs and color , that is the word.

God bless you all , Steve

Offline CaptainJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by SEMO_HUNTER:
Go back and read what I wrote before you try to correct me CJ. [/QB]
Sorry. I read what you wrote in the context of the previous few posts in which there was some confusion about volume vs weight.
Of course you're right that a 2:1 ratio is just that, but I'm right that the ratio doesn't keep when going from weight to volume. Not that you were saying that or anything.

He saw it now PD! But all I have to do is out run you right?

CJ

Offline TimB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
I've never used Smooth on, so I don't know how thick it is. As such, this idea might not work: Has anyone considered using a simple hand pump like a soap dispenser? You could have two dispensers that put out the same amount per pump. One pump of this, two pumps of that, or whatever ratio you need.

I've worked with a few different epoxy resin systems for laminating fiberglass (aircraft, not bows). Some have one pump for resin, one for hardener. Some have them both in one unit, so when you pull the lever, the right amount of each is dispensed.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/pumps-and-metering-equipment

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
You all very well could out run me, I have no doubts about that.

I was always too big to run so I had to stay put and either take an arse whoopin' or deal one out.   :wavey:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
Geeze, I don't know about Pearly Boy, but I'm just ah shaken in my BVD'S right now:) Looks like skid marks in em from some ole chevy getten out the way of a real truck like a Ford..

But I gotta ask ya Semo, what's ya doing with a fish picture on a Trad Bow site? And LMAO, don't they have any real fish out there?  :)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
Roy, that was the only pic I could find that I was smiling in.   :D  

I also heard through the grapevine that your wife does most of the fish catching in your boat.
I dunno, just what I heard?   :rolleyes:    :saywhat:  

I must apologize to the original poster for straying this off topic as far as it has, but I think the question was answered a long time ago? Hopefully Roy and I will be forgiven.

Offline matts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
LMAO Semo.  This has been a very educational and fun thread.
Matt

Offline CaptainJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
Well, whether or not you learn anything at least we can give you a laugh!

CJ

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
I agree Matt, we got the best of both education and a laugh from the biggest and OLDEST people on here! I guess I may be a little guilty.......I kinda started it and ran in the other direction like the sissy pants 3 under shooter I am!

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
LOL! You sissy pants!
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by PEARL DRUMS:
I agree Matt, we got the best of both education and a laugh from the biggest and OLDEST people on here! I guess I may be a little guilty.......I kinda started it and ran in the other direction like the sissy pants 3 under shooter I am!
I would describe is as running like a turpentined cat, or a scalded dog. Hit and run sissy pants.   :thumbsup:  
So are we having fun yet?

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
I'm talking smooth on here Semo.... if you use a 100:83 ratio by "volume"  and a 100:83 ratio by weight, you are going to have 17% too much hardener on the volume mix.

1:1 volume ratio equals 100:83 by weight with smooth on. and too much hardener will make this stuff brittle.

The advantage to weighing smooth on vs measuring it, is the very thick nature of the stuff makes it difficult to measure volume accurately.

ratio is NOT equal to ratio when you are talking two different forms of measurement. Period

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
We solved that several posts back. Actually Chris' original post stated that. It was misread and lead to a funny discussion. Period

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
OOOOOPS!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Read back a bit Kirk. Its some funny stuff! Be sure to have a spare pair with ya, you might pee em'laughing too hard!

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
2:1 ratio is always going to be just that.

Substitute "Parts" for any unit of measure your heart desires and it will always work as long as you use the recommended ratio. Unless of course the manufacturer specifies to use "Volume" or "Weight" as your unit of measure.

That's the only point I was trying to make, not suggesting that anybody use one or the other.

Make sense?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©