Author Topic: How strong is linen  (Read 248 times)

Offline dinorocks

• Trad Bowhunter
How strong is linen
« on: March 24, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
To make a long story short...during the tillering process, my brother drew his new (and first) bow (black cherry) a little too far on the tillering tree and the bow back, where it bends most, cracked (sorry no pictures).  Needless to say, he was devastated after all the work he put into the bow.  In attempt to keep his spirits up, and with nothing to lose, I opened the crack (~3/4" wide by 2" long) and glued it with thin crazy glue.  After the glue dried, we unclamped it and backed it with linen (using TBII).  The bow was 90% tillered.  If it was completely tillered, I would have tried wrapping the damaged area with sinew.  

Before we put the bow back up on the tillering tree, what are the chances that the linen will work by keeping the crack from re-opening?

Thanks for any input!

Dino
"Speedy arrow, sharp and narrow."  GD

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How strong is linen
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
Linen in my humble opinion is good for keeping splinters lifting,  But not sure it could hold a crack across the grain.

Sinew would be a better option.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
Wrap the area with a wide band of sinew/glue and I bet it holds tight. I have a sack full if you need some. It does make me wonder why it popped to start with? You should be able to draw past the tillered length a little with no splinters?

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Is linen or silk see-through? I want to back an Osage that was cut from a board and want something that will be see-through.

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Any thoughts- experances

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
start a new thread to get some real help.

to the OP  : theres no way to know for sure. just be careful , and once youre at tiller , wrap it with something and just be careful.

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©