Author Topic: Where to put the rest  (Read 587 times)

Offline 223fan

• Trad Bowhunter
Where to put the rest
« on: March 26, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
I am making a red oak bow that is 70" tip to tip and I want to cut a rest into the riser.My question is how far above center do I put the rest?Any and all help would be great.I really want to hunt this season with a bow I've made myself.Thanks

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where to put the rest
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
1 1/2 inches.

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
1 1/4 inches. don

Offline 223fan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Thanks for the fast responses.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
I put mine at 7/8"

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 12:09:00 AM »
Well there ya go 223fan, 7/8th, 1 1/4, and 1 1/2. Now what's ya gonna do? LOL

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 02:02:00 AM »
measure from the middle of your middle finger to the top of your hand( where the arrow would pass)- depending on the size of your hand- that distance will vary slightly- this puts the "center" of your hand in the center of your bow, and the arrow shelf as close to your hand as possible. measure it while gripping somnething with your hand- as your hand flattens slightly as you apply pressure.
g'luck
wayne

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 07:11:00 AM »
I measure to the dead center of the bow from nock groove to nock groove, then I put the crotch of my hand in the center of the bow. That's where my grip will be, then directly above my knuckle on my bow hand is where the arrow will sit.

So.....yeah, about 1 1/2" above center should do it.   :thumbsup:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
Dont sweat it too much. Your nock point will get you moving in the right direction afterwards.  1 1/4, 1 3/8, 1 1/2 will all work, just use your hand as stated above and cut it in. I dont think any of mine are ever the same? I should measure and find out.

Offline 223fan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
Thanks for all the help.I've made a couple of bows that did'nt have a rest and they worked out pretty good.The one bow I made with a rest cracked on the bottom limb.I'll keep at it till I figure it out.If this one works out I want to get a peice of hickory to make one.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
I recommend that you don't cut the shelf in too deep toward the center of the bow. That only causes problems with a self bow. I never go all the way to center, but stay just off of it maybe 1/8" or so.

Lately, I haven't been doing cut outs except when someone requests it like on the one that went to my buddy in Va. he specified that he would like a cut out so I made one just deep enough to keep the arrow on the bow without falling off.
I've found that personally I shoot better off the top of my knuckle and I leave a little fold around the top of my leather arrow wrap to use as an arrow indicator for consistent placement. This seems to give me the least amount of contact and I get much better arrow flight than I ever did with a cut out. Just my experience, individual results may vary.   ;)
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline 223fan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
This site is great.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Arrow rest location is dependent upon how you intend to grip your bow. Low wrist 2" (hard heel grip), medium grip 1 1/2" (common for many of us) and for a straight grip around 1" to 1 1/4".

For a bow of that length, with longer heavier limbs, which will have more moving mass, I would go with a straight to medium grip for best timing/less handshock. Just my opinion of course........Art

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©