Author Topic: BBO Build Along  (Read 899 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
BBO Build Along
« on: March 27, 2011, 01:00:00 AM »
Been making BBO bows for about 10 years now, always used Dean Torges design with the lower limb 1 1/2 inches shorter than the top and a balboas handle. Been talking with Art B from WV past few months and he talked me into a bow design of a different handle and limbs of the same length. I really like this design.

Found the center of the bow, centered a 5 inch handle on it, measured up 1 1/2 inches from center for the arrow pass, and from top and bottom of the handle I set the flares at 2 1/2 inches, then made the limbs equal length. Bow is 66 tips to tip, Osage backed with Boo.

Resting in bow form.

All glued up.

Flare to flare is 10 inches, so I made the riser section 14 inches.

Then cut it out.

String falls right down the center of the handle.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: BBO Build Along
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 01:04:00 AM »
Pulled her on the tree tonight till limb tips were down 5 inches, looking sweet thus far. Would say it's a good 65 pounds right now, shooting for 55.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 01:37:00 AM »
Roy, are you tapering your boo? How thick is it at fade and tips?

Also how wide at the fade and tips?

I'm gonna keep an eye on this one. I got some osage slats but they will need spliced.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
Boo is tapered from 1/8th thick at handle to 1/16th thick at tips. Fades are 1 1/4 wide and I run the 1 1/4 width out 6 inches past flares, then a straight taper from there to 1/2 wide at tips.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
Interesting......I'm curious to see how that longer handle section increases the effeciency of the bow.

Question......What wood did you use as your handle overlay?
Did you plane down a piece of Osage stave for the belly lam or is it from a board?

Lastly........What the heck is this thing? Muskrat?   :rolleyes:  

~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
Dont forget to tiller for a 3 under sissy shooter Roybert. Glad to see the handle worked out, it looks dang good. How wide are your faccets? (sp?) Uh oh....Chris knows how to draw on your pictures now Roybert!

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by PEARL DRUMS:
Dont forget to tiller for a 3 under sissy shooter Roybert. Glad to see the handle worked out, it looks dang good. How wide are your faccets? (sp?) Uh oh....Chris knows how to draw on your pictures now Roybert!
I've always known how Pearl just never used it on Roybert before.   :goldtooth:  

I wanna see the bend in it, I'd like to see where it starts the bend since the handle section is quite a bit longer.

Another question, how do you taper your boo backing? Do you free hand it on the belt sander or do you have a jig to put it in?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
Handle is Osage, used an Osage board for bow core, the thing you have circled is a piece from a rug. Facets are 1/4 wide.

Can't believe Semo and Pearl are outta bed yet?

Muskrat? And he traps.. LOL

I taper the boo on a jointer first then get closer with a belt sander, then hand tools.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Since 5:30 am and heard a turkey gobble right behind the house while drinking my coffee.   :coffee:  

Could you show me how you taper your boo backing? I'd like to try this BBO someday, maybe soon?
But all I have is a 6" belt sander, so I'm wondering if I can taper this myself without screwing it up?

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
I only had 6 last night........... plus its church day for the house. Let me get this straight. The facets are a 1/4" wide so the back of your untouched boo is about 3/4" wide after both sides are rasped down?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
When doing the facets, I start out wider at the riser section then taper them less and less as I get towards the tips.

Offline PGHKEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
Thought I'd bring this back from page two. What are you waitin' on? Do you need somebody with muscles to pull that tillering cable? Guess if I wanna see this thing, I'll have to stop by on Saturday. I see my bow is right where I left it a month ago (darn Honey-do list). You gonna be around on Saturday?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
Come on over John and see it. It's in 5 pieces now. A knot showed it's ugly head at mid limb and developed a crack. So I cut it all up:) Waiting on some good Osage to get here. Rogers bow is looking sweet. I'll be here Saturday.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 06:19:00 AM »
Ok Roybert, are you gonna finish this up or just leave it hanging out there like dirty undies flapping in the breeze??   :saywhat:  
I want to see how you tiller these sticks with boo on them so I can get to building my own.

Couple questions:
Do you think this would be an ideal situation to use boo backing on a spliced in the handle bow?

Next question: You've seen my caul that I built. Do you think that would be too much reflex/deflex for a boo backing to be glued on that caul form?
I suppose that depends on how thick your material is huh?

Thanks for any help anwering those Roybert.  :thumbsup:

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 07:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Come on over John and see it. It's in 5 pieces now. A knot showed it's ugly head at mid limb and developed a crack. So I cut it all up:) Waiting on some good Osage to get here. Rogers bow is looking sweet. I'll be here Saturday.
It failed on him Chris..........Art

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »
Ole Elmo never did read good:)

Yes Chris you could back the spliced handle with boo, I always do. I can't remember your caul pictures, I'll have to go look or fire me an e-mail.

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »
Poor bow design probably.......

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
I never did like you Pearly Boy:)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
I think I hear Taps playing on bagpipes somewhere in the background?   :rolleyes:  

Sorry to hear that Roybert, it was lookin pretty good too.

Caul pic.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
I tried to tell Ol' Roy that wouldn't happen if'n he'd built a stave bow. But ohhhhh no, he wouldn't listen to me!

Hey, what's the reasoning behind the splash or back board? Won't that just unnecessarily blow heat back double baking the inside of the stave? Art

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©