Author Topic: Your thoughts on a special stave  (Read 1288 times)

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Your thoughts on a special stave
« on: March 27, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
Today while shooting a friend gave me a piece of wood to make him a bow from. Not just any piece of wood, but a special one. This piece of wood intimidates me. So much so that I don't even want to start on it. I'm not sure how my friend ended up with it, but the writing on it has a man's name and address on it.  Here's my issue...

What makes this stave special is the fact that it was cut, split, and worked down to a blank by Earl Hoyt in 1938!...  This baby could be in an archery museam somewhere. It osage so it is that awesome dark purple/black right now. It's sixty-eight inches long and My friend wants a bow in the mid fifties or lower.  How am I supposed to cut on this thing?  What if it breaks? What if...

Then the other side of the coin. What if this thing shoots if I tackle it. It was made to be a bow. I don't think that Earl Hoyt would mind if it finally became the bow it was ment to be. What are your thoughts?

The pics aren't that great because its from my phone, I just figured you would like some pics. I"ll get more in a bit.

The profile is a bit of a problem. Right now, its very overbuilt. 68 tip to tip. one tip is 3/4in the other is 1in. The widest part of the limbs are right at 2in. However one fade is off. Still workable, but not right.  This picture shows the widest part of the limb in comparison to the handle/fade.

"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your thoughts on a special stave
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
I say get er done and make Earl proud.

Offline formerbutcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
Hmmm..... tuff call i'd almost keep it as is   :confused:  

Good luck, i know not much help   :bigsmyl:
It's a great day to be alive !!

Offline Jeff Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
I would let it rest as is.

Offline TWarrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
keep  as is.. at best you make YOUR vision of a bow.. not Earl Hoyts. worst case you take a piece of trad. history  and turn it into firewood....IMHO you let history remain history. But good luck with it.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
I would make a long string for it, loop it over each end and hand it back to your friend. Say to him, "Here it is all finished up, now hang it on the wall and cherish it always"

Once you cut into it, it's just an old piece of wood that was found in someone's attic.

If left "As Is" it's a piece of History.

Urge your friend to do the right thing and contact the National Archery Museum or some other such organization and get this piece of our Archery History on display for everyone to enjoy where it rightfully should be.

At the very least contact Hoyt and see if they have a museum of their own. I'm sure they would offer a pretty penny to get their hands on that. Bass Pro Shops buys stuff like that for their museum also.

It needs to be preserved no matter where it goes.
That's the only right thing to do.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
Part of me wants to say keep it just as is...nothing is better than a bow blank about to be worked.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
I would be pizzed off if somebody took my half done bow and hung it up after I couldnt work on it anymore! He started that bow for the same reason we all do, I say do him a favor and finish it up. If it breaks, I dont think he will be upset one bit!

Offline sadiejane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
have to agree
leave it be...

Offline SourOwl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Dave - If I had it, there's no way that I could cut into it.  I'd put it on my wall of fame, or send it to someplace where archers would appreciate seeing it.  The color change, from old photosensitive outer wood to the wood under it would break my heart.... I'd label it with a brass plaque and keep it as archery history.  JMHO.  thanks,  Mike
SourOwl

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Leave it alone and go get another piece of osage. I wouldn't touch it. Just hang it up. Tough call
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"
"I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul"

10 Year Active Army Disabled Vet.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
Don't think about it being anything special, take your time with it and make it into a bow you can brag about. Not everyone has an opportunity like what you've been given.I say you were given it for a reason.and I don't think it was to hang it on a wall. You had nothing before he gave it to you, the worst that can happen is you'll have nothing when your done. It's only a piece of wood.Make us all prood -go for it.   :thumbsup:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
That would be akin to taking an original Browning shotgun that was carried by John M. Browning himself and having it ported, or drilled and tapped for choke tubes. It just ain't right.

That piece should be in a museum and I just can't see it as "Just a piece of wood"
It's a piece of History that has survived all these years. We can all speculate what Earl Hoyt would want, but I think he would be just as proud to have it hanging inside a glass case at a museum for all archers to see and photograph.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
It's not your blank, it belongs to your friend, he may have a very good reason to have the blank finished into a bow.  Talk to him about it, and if you don't feel comfortable don't do it.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Earl Gave me 2 staves and said make some bows. One was completed several years ago and shoot good and hard. This one has been setting in my basement waiting for some one I had faith in to give it his best shot. As for as a Hoyt museum goes, it is owned by Bass pro and as fore as I know nothing is on display.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
I thought it might be your blank Jerry.  If Earl wanted a bow out of it I think you picked the right man for the job.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
kudos to you dvs for thinking this through, and demonstrating true kinship in this "family".
i gotta respect that.
 its a real tough call- but why should it be any different from any other piece of wood that any of you superb bowyers might leave behind?!?
 i dunno- but it does just feel special somehow.
you are the custodian now!!.- so make the call!!
but if it was me, i wouldnt touch it.
seems like the majority vote is for preservation anyway!!
i say preserve it for all to see,
because at best, it just becomes another shooter- nothing else!!

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
It's not Dave's blank, it belongs to the man Earl gave the blank too.  He is the one that wants a bow built from a blank his personal friend left to him.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
Thats a tough call.  I can understand just leaving it as is.  The way it is with the history behind it is enough reason to just hang it up and don't tough it but on the other hand its truely and honor to get to work on it.  Every scrape would be emotional and a reminder of one of the men that got archery to where it is today.  I think finishing it is a sign of respect.  I would finish it.  Just take tons of time with it and most of all enjoy working on it, but thats just my opinion

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
Dvshunter, I tend to agree with Knawbone and D. In that if you are comfortable with it, go for it. But, I would document every thing done with the stave with video and pictures.

With all due respect, I don't think its anything like Mr. Brownings gun. His gun was a finished, working gun. With that said, no I would not modify it in any way, shape, or form.

This stave, however, is not done, for whatever reason. I don't think any bowyer, woodworker, craftsman of any kind starts something with the intent for it not to be finished. So, if you're ok with it, go for it. Think of it as you being a co-writer of a song. Your just finishing what was given a great start.
Step lightly, and shoot a trad bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©