Author Topic: Your thoughts on a special stave  (Read 1290 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your thoughts on a special stave
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
Well said Blue EagleBum.

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
My vote is for the Historic Preservation of the stave, but if you do decide to turn it into a finished Bow I agree with Blue EagleBum record and photo document every thing you do. Its just the  Archaeologist in me. Good luck to you and your friend.
Crg

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
This is going about the way I had expected.   :coffee:
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
Sure is tuff DVS.

Question is, what would Earl want done with it?

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
Bottom line is that it's Grey Buffalo's stave and it was given to him so if he wants a bow out of it, so be it. I think he picked the right man for the job if that's what is in store for the stave. I'd rather see you working on it Dave than anybody else I could think of. I'm sure you'll do a fine job.

If it were mine it would be donated to an archery history museum, but that's just me.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
I would not cut into it for anything... Not with Earl Hoyt's name on it... There is little enough history left...
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
yup, rainman you are correct.- apologies.

hear hear,Javi!!

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 12:31:00 AM »
Reverence God not man, history is history, now is for the living. I still say it's a piece of wood and I'm willing to bet Earl would say the same. You'll just have to follow your heart on this one,cause everyone has a different outlook on what is important, what was, what is , what can be.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Dean Marlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 06:24:00 AM »
Go for it David. We like to restore old cars and everything else to make them useable so I would make a bow out of it. Dean
Dean Marlow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
I'm not much for sentimental stuff.  If it doesn't have any historical value, make it into a bow.  It's just a piece of wood isn't it?
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
hmmm. Lots of interesting discussion on this one. I love history and believe in preserving all that history incompasses, but...
The stave belongs to Gray Buff and it's his call. Perhaps if it had been found and did not have the personal attachment for Gray Buff it should be preserved as is. However, since it was given to Gray Buff to be finished as a selfbow then the stave should be finished.
Your apprehension is understandable, DVS. We've seen you abilities displayed here many times and you are more than up to the task. When you decide what to do I'm certain it will be the right thing.
Just my limited and humble opinion,
Stan

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
It doesn't matter who the stave belongs to now or what they want done with it, if they ask a Bowyer to make a bow from it and the Bowyer recognizes the history involved and doesn’t want to cut the stave that is their prerogative and a decision they have to make and live with..

As I said before I'd not touch it, I'd leave it as is..  an unfinished piece of archery history which can’t be duplicated but should be admired for what the man who started it meant to the sport…
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline aric

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
Listen man take that blank and make it into your masterpiece. With all the reverence you feel for that stave she will come out beautifully.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
preserve it!!
cultures thrive and advance through time with reverence for their history, without history we have nothing.
you certianally have the skills to do it justice,
but i geuss the final say rests with the rightful owner.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Looks likes its going to come down to flipping a coin.  hahaha  I still say go for it but on the other hand if you were walking through a museum and seen it and got to pick it up it would make you say Holly Crap this thing is awsome and after holding it for a minute set it down softly so not to make a single dent in it.

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 12:43:00 AM »
It was meant to be a bow, the owner wants it to be made a bow, the original bowyer gave it to the owner with the expectation for it to become a bow. If you feel up to it, and what I have seen, your work to date, shows you as a master bowyer. Go for it if you want to.
In the eyes of history, you will be making history. I still think it should be painstakingly documented through video, pictures, and even a log book or journal. And its history will still be forever preserved. JMHO. God speed and may the force be with you.
Step lightly, and shoot a trad bow.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 12:52:00 AM »
The decision of rather or not it will be made into a bow is moot, the owner of the stave already made it.
David, the only decision that is left is if you personally agree with Jerrys decision and want the challenge.  If you decide not to build the bow, somebody else will.

From what I have seen of your work, he made a good choice.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 01:20:00 AM »
I don't know how many guy's here know who Neil cost was. He was probably one of the best turkey call makers who ever built a call. You cannot purchase a call made by him for less than a grand. I had the pleasure and honor to talk to him on the phone 1 time. Shortly after that he passed.

I became good friends with the feller who published 3 books that Neil wrote and acquired 2 call blanks that came from Neils shop. both had his signature on them and still do. I did what Neil intended for those chunks of wood to be and made turkey calls out of them. One was probably the best call I ever made and I gave it back to my friend. The other turned out a fine call and I passed it on to one Neils personal friends.

I guess I blabbed all that to say.... Get to building Dave!    :bigsmyl:   Is there any way you can leave the writing on it or maybe slice the piece off with a band saw and put in the sight window area like an inlay or something to preserve it in some way.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline howdydoit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2011, 05:14:00 AM »
DVS we all know you have the skill to turn this stave into a bow.

I cant see not finishing it. Earl started it and now you get to finish the process.

Enjoy your time with it.
'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' ~ G. K. Chesterton

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2011, 07:17:00 AM »
Seems to be a lot of different opinions on this one. Bottom line is, yes it is a piece of history and a special piece of wood, but its still Grey Buffs piece of wood. If Grey Buff wants a bow made from it, then make him a bow. JMO

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©