Author Topic: Tip Overlays?  (Read 811 times)

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
Tip Overlays?
« on: March 27, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
Thinking about putting antler tip overlays on a hickory bow.  What type of glue works well for this?  

This is my first bow and first attempt at installing tip overlays.  Any other "tips" are most welcome!
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tip Overlays?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
Well you will get many different answers, but I use Smooth On Epoxy.

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
I use superglue.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
Like Roy, I have good luck with mooth-On Epoxy for antlers tips.  Antlers are near the bottom of my list for tip material, it is too porous.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
I use black buffalo horn for tip overlays.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »
I've used super glue, gel super glue, TBIII, TBII and 2ton epoxy all with good results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
I think Pearl Drums uses double face tape:)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 06:17:00 AM »
I put some buffalo horn on last night with CA glue. I will find out tonite how well it stuck. My Gorilla epoxy never set after 36 hours and the tips popped right off. So it was back to the drawing board. Roy everybody knows double face tape only works for wood overlays, not horn you ol' codger!

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
I think Pearl Drums uses double face tape:)
:laughing:     Now Roy....play nice.    :deadhorse:      :nono:

I have used TBII for my Rosewood tip overlays twice now and knock on wood, I haven't had any problems with it.

I scratched up both surfaces to be glued with a sawzall blade first, a hack saw blade will do the same thing if you don't own a toothing plane.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
Don't know if it will work wit an antler overlay but I have has some antler buttons tear the holes out om my arm guards because the center is too porous. I soak the centers with super glue until it won't absorb any more and re drill the holes. The buttons are rock solid after the super glue treatment and the holes never tear out again

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
Super glue gel works fine for antler overlays on hickory. You can clean the excess gel off of your work with an actone soaked Q-tip. After 10 minutes or so, you can shape 'em out........Art

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
I agree with Walt about antler being to porous. On the bow I'm actually working I also had antler tips, but after the first three arrows the upper tip just was ripped apart. I had used super glue and it was not the glue joint that had failed but the antler that was completely ripped in two pieces. If your bow has a draw weight of 30 to 40 lbs you might probably get away with it. But if your bow has a higher draw weight I wouldn't put antler tips on it.

----------
Andy

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Swissbow:
I agree with Walt about antler being to porous. On the bow I'm actually working I also had antler tips, but after the first three arrows the upper tip just was ripped apart. I had used super glue and it was not the glue joint that had failed but the antler that was completely ripped in two pieces. If your bow has a draw weight of 30 to 40 lbs you might probably get away with it. But if your bow has a higher draw weight I wouldn't put antler tips on it.

Lord, I wouldn't even think of using the inner or porous part of antlers for overlays. I would expext my antler overlays to permanent stay on a 150# bow..........Art
----------
Andy

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »

Originally posted by Swissbow:

----------
Andy
[/b]Lord, I wouldn't even think of using the inner or porous part of antlers for overlays. I would expext my antler overlays to permanent stay on a 150# bow..........Art

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
I have two bows with antler tip overlays. I cut the tip of an antler off to the length I want, sand one side flat as a pancake, fill that side with CA glue, sand smooth and use CA glue to glue it the bow, two clamps per tip for a few hours. I have never had one break on me. My bows are generally 55# or more. I think the key is using the hard outside of the antler for the outside of the tip, while the porous inside is filled with glue and facing downward. The best part is you can always replace them with other material if they fail you.

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
"Lord, I wouldn't even think of using the inner or porous part of antlers for overlays. I would expext my antler overlays to permanent stay on a 150# bow..........Art"

I had the inner core sanded off and it still broke away.

----------
Andy

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
I'm using whitetail deer antler for my overlays Andy. Generally sliced from the base of the antler. Very strong and smooth........Art

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
I know deer antler gets very brittle and dried out after several years of laying around. Maybe the antler was too old when you glued them up? Hard to say. Knock on wood mine have lasted.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
Use Gorilla , High Impact super Glue with rubber added for impact. It works. I have done hundred or more tips with it of all sorts and not lost a single tip.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Hi Art, we don't have any whitetail around here in Europe. But maybe the antler war already a bit old and dried out, because the guy who gave it to me said that he had it laying around for some years. I have put on some phenol tips and they're seem to hold perfect.

----------
Andy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©