Author Topic: Red Oak Board Bow  (Read 1180 times)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Red Oak Board Bow
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
Good work I love the handle. Yea 4est trekker got me hooked too.

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
Very Nice Rick, I hear what your saying.
 I was going to paper back this one but could not wait to shot it. I should of, My top limb is a little over stressed should have spent just a bit more time tiller and stayed with a 28" draw. The bow started to lift some grain on the back edge . Hope it not to late.
Thanks Chuck

Offline Aznboi3644

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
I've tried that fiberglass tape...it doesn't do much to save the bow if it breaks.  I've found if its gonna break its gonna break.

I've never backed any red oak board bows though.  I'd rather use straight grained boards not needing a backing.

Offline TimB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
linen works well too. Two coats of paint with a very very light sanding in between smooths out the texture.

Offline IGetTargetPanic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
Man I hope to build a self bow one day.. Great job..

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
Rick, I would think 4 layers would be overkill and just add a lot of weight. I'm with AZ, if its going to break it will break, backing just prolongs it and saves on the pants dirtying explosions.  :scared:   I have been using drywall papertape, that has saved some of those said explosions. that said, where do you get that artificial snake skin, I like the look of it and I bet it is easier and cheaper than the real thing.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
CR, that's an incredible red oak bow. Beautiful job.

Rick, is that the snack skin fabric from Rudder? Thought about trying that myself.

Good job, guys.
Stan  :thumbsup:

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Thanks Guys, I have not check in lately. The bow lifted some grain but I rounded the back edges some more and got under it looks to be solid.  Re-tillering to a 28"draw shooting for 40lbs give or take. almost forgot will be backing the bow with one of the above. Thanks again for looking will post when finished, Crg

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
I did one with a Rudders backing.Thats a very nice cloth backing.I will post a picture of one I did a while back.The place to get the artificial snake backing is Custom King archery.There is no strength to the custom king backing.Its just for looks.The rudders backing though not as nice looking in my opinion is a very substantial - strong backing.

The top picture is the Rudders cloth backing.The bottom Picture is a 60# osage bow I built for hunting last year.It has a differant type of custom King backing than the first picture I posted a week or so ago.I need to repeat that the costom king backing is a photo tranfer tape on backing (no strength)

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
CR Gibson..If you have to back your bow you may want to try a rawhide backing.I believe even with the lifting thats in your pictures you could still save that bow.I think the Rudders snake backing would do the same.I dont want to sound like a big bow making no it all, but I have made a bunch & for what its worth thats my opinion.

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
Thanks again Rick, I was thinking that very same thing "Rawhide" got a few calf hides saved should I leave the hair on? ha ha. Im not to flush right now so the Rudders is out But looks good. Will have to keep my eyes peeled when I make it to a bigger town, Plus im to impatient Things coming to Canada take for ever and cost twice.

Thanks take care, Crg

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
You are drawing  down on the buck of a lifetime. Would you trust that bow after fixing the crack? My advice is start another. Jawge

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Hi George, "No" but its not really a crack crack it was run out on my top edge. I rounded it more and got under it, it looks good. I have started to re-teller and working on the top limb also droping the draw down to 28" and looking for 40ish Lbs. or lower would be alright. I cant give up on it. I have started a new bow red oak with hickory backing,very thin, low pounds, goal weight 30lbs at 25-26" After what I have learned from you and others I droped my standard a bit. Start slow start low. Watch for new post with my little shooter.
Thanks George, your friend Crg

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©