Author Topic: Native American stencil/templates  (Read 349 times)

Offline Si

• Trad Bowhunter
Native American stencil/templates
« on: March 30, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
On my next selfbow project I want to paint actual Native American art on the back. I am not an artist so I can't paint horses,buffalo etc. I am just looking for something like diamond patterns so does anybody know where to get stencils/templates or is all creative freehand?

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Native American stencil/templates
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
You could always use masking tape, starting at your riser's fade out, and kris-crossing as you make your way to your tips? Or do it like a pinstriper would, with thin pieces of pinstripe, and then paint and peel. Good luck. Hope we get to see the results.

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
Si,most, no, I will say all of the Native American work on bows was pure free hand and from the heart.  It was intended to represent the tribe and individual man.  You will never see two alike, ever.  That is what is the best part of native art, it is all interpretation of live and inter connection of man and the land and family.  Just go with what you feel, how you see live and the colors that are you, not someone else.  From the heart always is the best.
Always say what you mean, that way people will know you mean what you say.

Offline Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
tandy leather has native american stencils that you can paint or stain on the wood..check them out
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline firewood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
making stencils are pretty easy,you can take any picture,adjust it to black and white, tweak the brightness and contrast,then just cut out certain parts with an exacto. there are lots of tutorials out there just do a search.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
Start doodling I bet you'll come up with something.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by firewood:
making stencils are pretty easy,you can take any picture,adjust it to black and white, tweak the brightness and contrast,then just cut out certain parts with an exacto. there are lots of tutorials out there just do a search.
I like Firewood's idea.
If that doesn't work then go to a big craft store like Micheals cause they have a ton of that kind of stuff, and about a million other useless items you just can't live without.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©