Author Topic: vintage bow went "click" -uh-oh- fix it?  (Read 314 times)

Offline NJWoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
vintage bow went "click" -uh-oh- fix it?
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
I have a garage sale recurve of unknown history- unmarked except for s/n & draw weight (actually lower than marked). I think it's a 70's shakespeare.
I've shot it for a few months and unstrung it after each session.

tonight I put a Formaster on it, pulled back and heard a crack at 1/2 draw. I found a 1/4" horizontal crack in the glass backing at the lower limb fade out.

I carefully pulled it back a few times without it blowing up, but now I'm shy it could go anytime.

so, wallhanger? Repair with crazy glue?

Offline aric

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: vintage bow went "click" -uh-oh- fix it?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
i have heard of guys fixing bows with a product called kwick it . there are two kinds thick and thin and i have heard the thin really seeps into the cracks. i use the thick to glue on my limb tips its like super glue on steroids. i think i have seen it on three rivers archery web site its like twenty bucks. but its good stuff

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
A picture would help. Is the crack 1/4 inch long, is it in the middle or along the edge. Is there a raised area that you can feel?
For the most part most of these can be repaired just depends on the extent of the crack. If you actually heard the noise then it should have something done.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline NJWoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
The crack starts at the limb edge and goes across horizontally. I don't think it will photograph well, but I'll try. If you look at it from the side you can see little strands of glass that have separated and lifted up.

I've had this happen with selfbows- hearing a little cracking sound, not seeing anything- then a few draws later, craaack!

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
if the glass is seperating and lifting i wouldn't draw it anymore. wall hanger. don

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Not worth the risk of getting hurt in my opinion. They still make bows by the thousands every single day, but you only get one pair of eyes.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©