Author Topic: Cut some Hickory  (Read 428 times)

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
Cut some Hickory
« on: April 12, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
Just cut down a nice little 6to8" Pig Nut Hickory today. I sealed the ends with a few coats of shelac. I guess the next thing to do is split it in quarters and shellac the sides some. I guess I should ask all you guys for the best plan of attack.I was thinking I could steam a couple staves once I rough them down to bend in some reflex and to also help dry them out a little. Does this sound right or do I have to let them dry for a few months with the bark on.Its small ringed of course, but I would think that wouldn't matter so much. Any advice?
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cut some Hickory
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
First thing I look for is where the heart of the log is located. If centered, then I would half, then quarter. But if the heart is off-center, then I would only use the wood in the center of each half (smaller rings to one half, larger ring to the other half). This will only produce two staves. Staves, where their radial growth ring thickness run from thick to thin, will crook.

You only need to keep the ends sealed with hickory. Sides do not need coated. I've never seen the first check in the backs of hickories.

Best to go ahead and debark, rough your bows out and let them dry down to the proper MC of around 6-8%. Reflexing can be accomplished with dry heat when you're ready........Art

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Thanks Art B., Do you mean the center dimentionly or center of the dark colored core. Should the dark wood not be used?Also, you say the back doesn't need sealing, and the sides don't need sealing-is that correct?
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
I'm referring to the very center of the growth rings, the heart of the tree......Art

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
I cut my hickory seal the ends and split the center. I start shaping it out within a week usually.
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"
"I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul"

10 Year Active Army Disabled Vet.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
Take off that bark pronto or it will cement itself to the wood. Jawge

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
True it gets glued on there and it is darn near impossible to get off   :banghead:
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"
"I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul"

10 Year Active Army Disabled Vet.

Offline barley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 01:02:00 AM »
I just cut some hickory also. For years I split the log in half and left the bark on a couple months. Then split out the staves to keep from warping ( I've had them to warp if split out too early). I have heard the back would check if the bark is removed too soon. This time I'm experimenting some by taking the bark off some staves immediately and coating it with titebond II and leaving some uncoated. Then I'll know. That bark does come off easy, huh?

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Thanks everybody, Hey George, what do you mean by pronto, is within too day good. Can't split or debark it until thursday{ tomarrow}
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
That'll do. A few days for it to settle and get used to being indoors is fine. Enjoy.  :)  Jawge

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
I thought you had to get the bark off ASAP to keep the worms from eating holes in it.  But thats probably just the warm months.  I know I cut a log probably 8 to 10" through and let it set on the ground for two weeks or so (first log I ever cut) and stripped the bark and it was eat up with worm holes.  Even found some of the worms.  Talked to some people about it and was told that the larve live in the bark.  But I don't know enough about it that could be wrong.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
D, This was a healthy tree when cut, I suppose you would not want to leave it on the ground for fear of infestation. I'v only found worms in dead or dieing wood, not in live vibrant trees.I believe that once the tree starts to die the bark starts to separate from the wood which allows for infestation.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
Hum that makes sence.  I cut the tree down but doesn't mean anything it was fall and the leaves were already off.  The wood looked good when I cut it though. but oh well I needed some firewood anyway.  I've cut two or three more sence then and got the bark off after a day or so and have had no more problems with the little terds.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
Off the ground and inside out of the weather is what I would do. The bark can be drawknifed off but be careful sso as not to damage the back, D. Jawge

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
Off the ground and inside out of the weather is what I would do. The bark can be drawnkifed off but be careful sso as not to damage the back, D. Jawge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©