Author Topic: Smooth on and heat?  (Read 351 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Smooth on and heat?
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
How many of you use smooth on glue, but use no heat to cure it?  Let's say like on a hickory backed osage bow?  And how many of you use urac and do not heat cure it?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Smooth on and heat?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
I use smooth on and no heat but it takes at least 24 hours for it to set if at all possible use heat. I am trying urac185 right now I have had a bow sit all night with urac so I will let you know on that one.
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"
"I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul"

10 Year Active Army Disabled Vet.

Offline milehi101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
I have built race car parts airplane parts canoes and bows and many other things using epoxies. The reason for using heat to cure epoxie is not that it will not cure.  All epoxie will cure with temperatures in the 70 degree  range. It may take longer but it will totally cure. Also all epoxie will soften when the surrounding temperature reaches a certain temperature.  An exhample of this could be your recurve bow or your hybred long bow in a closed up car trunk on a hot day in the summer.  The epoxie will soften and allow the laminations to slip and therefore your bow is no longer a recurve or a hybred long bow. This has been known to happen at temperatures as  low as 125 degrees.  When the epoxie is cured in a heat box at a temperature of 160 to 185 degrees the temperature that the glue gets soft also is increased to a temperature higher than it was cured at. (THIS IS TRUE WITH SMOOTH ON AND OTHER INDUSTRIAL EPOXIES I HAVE USED) I do not know for sure that urlac185 or other types of hardware brand epoxie will have the same features as smooth on. Therefore using smooth on now you can store your bow with confidence that it will have the shape it started with after being stored in an area with higher than normal temperatures.

Offline Hootsbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
milehi is right, a bow not heat cured is a bomb

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Recently there was a similar topic on this matter. I know someone that didn't have a hot box, so they curred their bow by putting their form in their truck and parking it in direct sun during glue up. IMO, it wouldn't reach the temp I personally would want, but it is certainly better than nothing.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
The technicians at Smooth-on said 4-8 hours at 150 degrees was best. They also told me to mix 2 parts A to 1 part B for the best heat resistant properties.

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
I read basically the same thing that 7 Lakes stated on their website.  Also, it stated to let it set overnight and then put it in the heat box.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©