Author Topic: Lets Talk Tillering Strings  (Read 687 times)

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
Lets Talk Tillering Strings
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
I have noticed on the thread different names or discriptions for strings.  This is what I gather so far...

Tillering string- roughly 12" longer than Knock to Knock, used for initial tillering

Long string- Same as tillering string? same function?

Short string- I would guess this would be refering to actual string length?

From what i gather you long string tiller it sorta close than you short string it and finish the tiller...

Are my assumtions correct?

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets Talk Tillering Strings
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
My tillering string is 72" long with a loop on one end.  I use a bowyer's knot (timber hitch knot) on the other end.  I use it from long string tillering through shoot in and just shorten as I go.

It is made with 18 strands of Dacron B-50 and is reverse twisted for the entire length.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
mine is pretty much the same as john. 16 strands instead of 18. don

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
Thanks....  What about the short string?....

Offline CaptainJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
And as for length, I shorten it as soon as possible. Long strings are liars. (A mis-quote from George)
I start with a string that is the same length as the bow, not 12" longer and shorten it to target brace height when I can.  Be careful to never exceed your target weight though.

CJ

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
I make a new string every time I start a new bow, put a loop in one end and use a timber hitch on the other end.  As I tiller the bow I just re tie the timber hitch knot to shorten the string.  When I reach final tiller I just twist it until I reach my desired brace height.  Most time I use this string on the bow, just add serving and it's ready for use.....Dan

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
I use a longbow stringer with leather cups for the long string.  When ready for the short string I have 40-50 different length strings between 54” and 64” hanging on the wall and I grab one of them.  Three or four of the strings that have been used on several bows, each bow gets a new string when it is completed.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
Thanks guys...

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
That's a good idea Walt. I need to start making up strings with varying lengths.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
I'm with Walt on this one.  I use a homemade tillering string with leather cups on both ends because the nock grooves aren't cut in till I'm ready to go to the short string.  I just shorten/lengthen it as needed for each bow.  I don't have quite the assortment Walt does, but 6-10 different strings will allow me to find one close then twist it up to where I want it for low brace or more.

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
I've only done a handful of bows and after seeing the suggestion here I use paracord with a permanent knot on one end and tie a bowyers knot on the other.  After getting limb movement of 6-10" (also learned here) I go to a new string I make for the bow.

Offline evildocrsx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
I start with a long string with one loop on each side.  No bowyer's knot.  Then when it is ready for the short string, I make a new string for each bow and then just keep the string when the bow is finished.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Use a shorter string and get to brace height asap. The long tillering strings with the leather cups lie.

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
I use para cord with a permanent loop in one end and a timber hitch in the other, then I use the actual string for the bow when its time to go to the short string
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"
"I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul"

10 Year Active Army Disabled Vet.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
Here's the way I do it.
Long string =old sash cord. Length 1.5 times that of bow about.
Tillering string=old bow string.
Bow string=Flemish made for bow.
Jawge

Offline Lakota_Ghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
I see that people here use paracord and dacron for tillering strings, but is there a certain kind of material that should be avoided for a tillering string?
Fortune favors the bold.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Lakota, I would say that artifcial sinew, waxed nylon would be the worst!

I use the strongest material, like Fast Flight or other High performance materials.

I do like John, and twist the entire length. One long string to use for different bows.

I want the the limbs to show everything, and not the string stretching!

I may disagree with folks about certain things, but learn from everyone, no matter from the most experience and the greenhorns, on the light they shed!

I don't have the best of eye when tillering, but I'm learning!

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
i make a new string for each of them. i have just made one string or two and a few 3 foot test pieces with the daCRON I got from knocking point. i had been using artificial sinew from pat catans . it worked fine , just stretched  like s......

i get floor tiller to about 4-5", then put the string on with about a 3 inch brace. even it out , if needed , and twist it up to get to brace height.

once the bow is done i make a new one , because i always end up hitting the string a bunch with the coarsest rasps i have on hand. and my loops just look terrible...ive seen better , and ive seen worse , but now that im in a house , i will have room to make endless strings...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
i make a new string for each of them. i have just made one string or two and a few 3 foot test pieces with the daCRON I got from knocking point. i had been using artificial sinew from pat catans . it worked fine , just stretched  like s......

i get floor tiller to about 4-5", then put the string on with about a 3 inch brace. even it out , if needed , and twist it up to get to brace height.

once the bow is done i make a new one , because i always end up hitting the string a bunch with the coarsest rasps i have on hand. and my loops just look terrible...ive seen better , and ive seen worse , but now that im in a house , i will have room to make endless strings...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
Hov, you mention hitting the string with your rasp...does this imply that you leave the bow braced as you scrape or rasp where needed?  For some reason I assumed most folks braced and unbraced between tillering adjustments.

Thanks~
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©