Author Topic: Question on Handle Layout  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question on Handle Layout
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
First, I'm talking glass bows...

I copied my beginning style from Louie Armbruster, who recommended "middle/middle"... center of riser on center of bow...  Once you string it, before cutting a shelf, you measure the string to bow distance at the ends of the fades and the shorter measurement determines the lower limb.  ( This was  back when I used shelves, clearly a non-traditional development, first step toward compound bows    :)   Also makes your bow unfriendly to lefties.)

Since I'm building glass and am short draw/low weight limit, I favor long fades, 18", to allow me to use longer limbs but still have a shorter working limb length.

Later, after reading much about shifting the riser for a shorter lower limb, I tried that, too.  I've built maybe six bows that way and I can't really say I see much difference in the shooting.   On my latest aluminum form, I marked one side for "middle/middle" and the other for shorter lower limb.   I will probably go back to middle/middle.  It just seems simpler and I like simple.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©