Author Topic: kids bow  (Read 309 times)

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
kids bow
« on: April 19, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
I have a few kids, not mine, that I would like to make bows for I need help with size draw weight,ect. Have no idea, kids range in age from 4-9 will most likely use red oak board from lowes or home depot and back it with linen.
john 3:16

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: kids bow
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
1/4"x2x48, 6" to 7" riser block, pyramid style from about 2 inches outside each fade, should give you about 15# @ 20". There are some build alongs here.
Step lightly, and shoot a trad bow.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Just as Blue E. Said. I've made 25 or 30 of those,
The hard part is finding a good piece of oak. Usually lucky to find 1 1/4 inch thick one at a store with good grain.
I've started buying the 3/4 inch lumber and using the bandsaw to resize it.
enjoy the journey.
ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
thanks that helps a lot and macbow your right about lumber I look like everyother week its slim pickens.Blue EagleBum you were a lot of help thanks.

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
Use hickory rather than oak, that way the grain doesnt have to be perfect and the bow wont break. I use hickory on 90% of my kid bows and save the straight grain for heavier adult bows, none have ever broke to my knowledge.

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
Your welcome Rover Brewer. Hickory would be a good choice too. I have been to every lumber yard or hardware that carries the red oak within an hour and a half of where I live. Have got about 6 keeper 1/4 inch ones. The other I bought thicker and will cut them down to 1/4. If you have any lumber mills around you, they may be of help for you. I have one here. My neighbor down the street is getting me some hickory, hard maple, and walnut. He's a supervisor at the mill, so that doesnt hurt either.
But if you do have some mills near by, I'd go to them, tell them what I was doing, and just see. My experience so far, is that once they see what your doing, they become interested, cause for most they have an interest in woodworking too.
Step lightly, and shoot a trad bow.

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Blue EagleBum wish I had a neighbor like yours. I have not found any hickory at lowes or home depot and It would be my first choice knewing it is a little more forgiveing.

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
Lowes and Hd usually only have red oak. If theres a cabinet buildin shop close to you they should have some they'll sell you. If they dont have any to sell you ask them where they get theirs from.

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »
OKIE64-  You can also try a builders supply that sells specialty wood and hardware....

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
Menards carries a full line of hard woods, including Mahoganey. I get all my lumber for board bows from them. They even carry 1/2" x 2" x 6' slats, dont get any easier than that!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©