Author Topic: Handle wrap ideas please.  (Read 570 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Handle wrap ideas please.
« on: April 24, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
I want to do a handle wrap on my BBO that I just made and I've seen them on some of y'alls bows before. Just wondering what you use and where you get the material. I'd like something thin enough that it won't add too much bulk and I'm looking for something I don't have to tie or lace on the handle of the bow. Does that make any sense?

Kinda like a continuous wrap of about 4" long and slim, not bulky. I was actually wondering about that material that they use to wrap the handle on tennis rackets? I know exactly Zero about tennis, but I know they make repair kits for the racket handles, anybody ever use anything like that on a bow handle?

Ideas, comments, advice, links (please) are all welcome and expected!
Thanks!
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Handle wrap ideas please.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
Well Semo I use different types of leather that my wife finds for me at Thrift stores its inexpensive and you can make a ton of wraps out of one jacket.

I have seen people use tennis racket grip tape on some shooting videos before it looks like it would work great.
I like to take my leather and then cut a piece of a new insole for shoes and stitch the leather around the insole then lace it on the handles when I want a little padding.
Sounds like what you need is either a slip on grip from some place like 3 rivers archery or racket tape
Lester
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"
"I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul"

10 Year Active Army Disabled Vet.

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
Semo  2.99 at wally world in the sporting goods section, they make a comfortable summer handle wrap. My 3d bow last year had a piece of weathered leather for a grip, by fall it looked like I stole it off of a homeless man from under the bridge..... pretty nasty. the tennis wrap breathers and doesnt stain as bad.
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 01:02:00 AM »
I have done several like this seamless wrap which I think I stole from another member here...  I'll see if I can dig up the link.

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 01:16:00 AM »

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 01:18:00 AM »
thats pretty slick. i thought about the racket tape , also they have hockey stick tape which iirc has a little more tooth to it.

so far my bows are all wood grips. i like my bows like i like my 1911's.

i bought some 1" x 36" suede leather i was going to use for a grip but A: it looks like crap , B: its too short and C: it dyed my hand black. i might pick up some of this tape and see...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
I would just leave it naked, but since this was a splice bow I can see the splices on the edges on each side of my handle area. Most may not pay them any mind, but I think they look like crap and I wanna cover them up with something. I'll check out Wally World first and see what I can find, but the tennis racket tape is starting to sound like a winner.

Thanks for the help guys, keep em coming.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
Jute cord is pretty cool and basic.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
I've got some para cord, I may see if I can wrap that around and then see if I like it or not. It may be too thick? Good idea though, I'll try it as a dry run and see how it looks and feels.
Thanks.

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
if you need some leather..let me know..I can send you a couple pieces..got various flavors
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
...taned beaver tail or stingray hide ..way too cool !
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
Stop at Tandy Leather. I use 2-4 oz. garment or upholstery leather. They usually have scrap bins of trimmings and end cuts.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the offer Razorbak that's mighty kind of ya. I've got some leather pieces, but don't think I could stretch them over the shape of my handle and make em look nice.

Getstoned- I've got 2 beaver tails in the freezer that I was going to do that very thing with, but I haven't found a good tanning process for them yet. If you or anybody else knows what process they use for beaver tails I'd sure appreciate the info.

Greg- I wish we had a store like that around here, I'd be in heaven. Closest thing I might be able to find in my area would be a Saddle and Tack store and they don't give anything away, premium price even for scraps.

I tried a mock up with black para cord and I think it looks pretty good. It felt nice in the hand and I think I'm going to be able to make this work. Each individual wrap can be made to follow the contour of the handle so it "hugs" the palm swell and the grip groove where the web between my thumb and forefinger goes. That's the effect I was going after, so I think I'm gonna go with that.

Thanks for all the tips and advice fellas, I sure appreciate it.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
Got any scrap pieces of snake skins Chris? They stretch out and mold easy enough. Looks nice also!

Have you tried a Goodwill store? Leather handbags can be had for just a few bucks there.......Art

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
Hey Chris I have two beaver tails that I just got from our district court judge who is a big trapper. I went to my friends taxidermy and archery shop and he said he spoke with his tanning companies he uses and they don't tan tails.
He told me to just scrape them really clean and let them dry. Thought I would pass along the info cause I was just thinking of a handle wrap too.
BILLETS SHOULD BE HERE TODAY  :thumbsup:

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by bowhntineverythingnh03743:
Hey Chris I have two beaver tails that I just got from our district court judge who is a big trapper. I went to my friends taxidermy and archery shop and he said he spoke with his tanning companies he uses and they don't tan tails.
He told me to just scrape them really clean and let them dry. Thought I would pass along the info cause I was just thinking of a handle wrap too.
BILLETS SHOULD BE HERE TODAY   :thumbsup:  
That's cool man thanks, let me know when you get those billets.

Art- I do have some scrap pieces of black snake skins that may be big enough to go over the handle, but wasn't sure how durable they would be from my hand rubbing on the grip?

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
i used sisal to wrap this handle. then coated with tbII. let it dry and coated again. did that till i had about 5 or 6 coats. don

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
That's kinda what mine is going to look like except with black para cord Don. The para cord follows the contour of the handle just like that, and it feels pretty good in the hand. I was surprised at how comfortable it was. I think I may start doing more of them with this if it turns out like I hope it will.

Thanks for the pics.

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
semo, after each coat dried i did a lite sanding on the sisal. when it dries it tightens up. also, it's not affected by moisture. don

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
what type of leather do you have?  if you soak the leather in warm water for 15 minutes..it will stretch..another idea is head to a craft store like Michaels ...they have leather from tandy in 1 ft sides..they will be seude tho and if wanted I can send you leather still
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©