Author Topic: Osage in Utah  (Read 246 times)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Osage in Utah
« on: April 29, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
I had a go buy a new turkey call today and I ran into an old friend there. As we were catching up I mention that I had started making bows now and he so kindly told me where some osage was growing wild just south of me. He had a friend that had made one for him from this location. I was more excited about hearing that than the killer turkey property I had just gain access to today.

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage in Utah
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
Thats a good find! I have found a couple osage trees in south Idaho but they were in somebodys front yard.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline CaptainJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
Wow!

I've seen maps online that say there is Osage in western Colorado but I sure can't find any.
If you're close to CO, let me know and I'll come over and help you wrangle some of that golden bow wood!

CJ

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
WOW, didn't know it grew here. Good luck with the birds too!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
I didn't know there was any utah ether. The location is a good 2000 ft lower in elevation and I'm sure it's not native but I'm glad to who ever planted it.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
Many of Midwesterner pioneers when moving to all the western states in the late 1800’s and later by dustbowl refugees during the 1930’s depression, often brought and planted Osage trees.  In most of those places, it didn’t survive, was cut down for firewood, or considered “Trashwood” and cut down.  Where I grew up, the edge of the Mojave desert in Southern California (Quart Hill to be specific), we had a several dozen houses and farms that had Osage wind breaks from 1/4 mile to several miles long, much like you see in the Midwest.  Dustbowl refugees planted most the Osage in this area.  I have personally seen Osage trees in Idaho, Oregon, Nevada, Washington, and Utah, and every part of California except the Northwest coast.  I was told there are a couple of Osage trees somewhere in Montana, on public land, (I trust and believe the person) but he wants them for himself.  It is out there, but in limited quantities, most often on private land, and seldom in the form of prime bow wood.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
I guess I'm lucky cause it's all over Missouri. I have literally not been anywhere in my state that I haven't spotted at least 1 Hedge apple tree growing somewhere. Some areas are just loaded with it, around here I've got plenty, but I probably pass up on trees that most guys would cut? I try going for the straightest knot free logs and only cut the ones I need out of a particular tree. Lots of times they grow in clusters from the base and I may only take down 2-3 trunks out of a cluster that may have 6 or more individual trunks.
Even out of all that, not every bit of it makes good bow wood and ends up on the wood pile. Osage (hedge apple) has the highest BTU rating of any wood you can burn and leaves very little ash. So save your end cuts for throwing in the wood stove or fireplace if you have one.

Glad your getting yourself some bow wood, you found one of the best there is.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
I thought it was strictly a southern and midwestern tree. You never know what you're going to learn on here. Glad you guys out west have access to it too. Its great stuff!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 04:34:00 AM »
I know it grows in my Home state of VA. My dad would show me a tree or two when we were rabbit hunting. He called them horse apples most of the time. I supect there is some in every continetial state some where. Heck I go to a Aussie bow site and they have limited trees growing there.

But alsome find Twitch stick.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©