Author Topic: Look What I Got  (Read 238 times)

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
Look What I Got
« on: May 04, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
A friend gave this to me last Winter Damon/Howatt Hi-Speed 58" 51# @ 28" Stout little thing.
Has had some holes drilled out for sights and quiver should these be filled? Do I pad and shoot off the shelf or add flipper type arrow rest? Whats the best? If I was to make a new string do I need a high performance string material? I have B-50 polyester. Best arrows? I have some Autumn Orange 2215 cut to 29.5 BOP 175gr point boy they sizzle and I have Easton carbon 500 30.5 BOP 145gr seem to work alright got any better arrow combo suggestions?

Thanks for Looking and your Help, Chuck

Offline Butch L

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Look What I Got
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
Nice looking gift   :thumbsup:   , Have fun with it.

Butch L
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mike/Columbia Basin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
I would shoot off the shelf with a rug rest and use a B-50 dacron string. Arrows are whatever you prefer that flies good. Hard to beat some good wood 55#-60# spined shafts though. You might wany to list this on the collecting and history forum for more input.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
Yer making me jealous!  I love all those old Damon Howatts.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
Thanks Butch and Mike

I use to  live for 25years in NE Oregon in Enterprise cowboy-ed on the Imanha and Snake river. Also worked lots of archaeology for the Colville tribe in the Grand Coulee,Banks Lake,and Kettle Falls area loved it. Sure do miss Oregon and your part of the country. Good bowyer in Grand Coulee use to work with him and the Colville still might be there Donald S. he turned me onto selfbows and this site back in 2006

Thanks for your Help, Home sick

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
Use dacron, ignore the front holes, they're small.  Bows of that weight really like 2114's.

I love Howatt recurves, some of the most beautiful bows ever made.

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
I like 2016(s)-29.5" with 125-145 upfront for my vintage bows in that weight class

><>

Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
Thanks Guys, Think ill try all 3 arrow suggestions.

Got two good reply's off the collecting and history forum a possible date (1963) string types, strike plate and rug,and feather rest sounds interesting. I got enough leather around here and found some sticky back padding in the wifes sew kit to get by with going to look alright going to work hope so. Still need brace height

Thanks again for the Help, Chuck

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
From the collecting and history forum the Guys pin pointed the date at 1973. I liked the sounds of 1963 but 73 works just fine. A pic of black leather strikeplate and rug I added. Black leather from a old purse and some kind of white sticky backed pad.

Any advice on brace heights im at 7 1/2" now from string to deepest part in grip? To high or good?

Thanks, Crg

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©