Author Topic: Bow makers imagination.....how much is to much?  (Read 772 times)

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow makers imagination.....how much is to much?
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
I think what you have created is very attractive and expressive. Congratulations as it is something you should be proud of.  

As some have said, traditional has many definitions but in my own opinion, "traditional" means utilizing proven bowyer methods of the past.  For me this now means before glass, plastics and compsites.  But this is my own choice and my own self-imposed restriction. Whats ironic is that I choose to use modern power tools to make my bows.  Every artist works in their favorite medium with thier favorite tools.  Some artists work with glass and composites, some work with multiple wood laminations and some work with just one primary wood.  

After I posted my original "glass vs. wood" post and read all of the responses, I came to the above realization.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
That sure is a head turning bow. That is great craftsmanship! Tell your son that name fits the bow perfect.  Mike
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Bighornangler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
If someone was making and selling that style of bow, I probably would not buy it as it is not my style of bow, however it is truly a work of art and I see nothing wrong in pushing the envelope and being creative. I would say it is traditional as well.

Offline paoloi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
To me the design is a bit much, but the craft is undeniable, great work. It really showcases your talents.

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »
It is pretty cool and a great work of art but its a little bulky and over the top for me. If you like it that is all that matters.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 01:35:00 AM »
Thats rediculously cool... Great job!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
Bet you wont find another one that looks like it on this planet! Is it heavy?

Offline JD 9116

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
I really appreciate the variety of comments on this! My intention on this particular bow was to push it on every angle and well....this is the result. Actually I have never been much of a snake guy but when I saw the scaley wood grain in that block of wood, instantly ideas just flew.

Some were asking about the performance and weight. The chronograph showed an average speed of 215 fps but this was with a light arrow that weighed 450 grains. The bow shoots better than I expected. I plan on hunting with my others but as some said, "It is a conversation piece". I do not have an accurate scale so I hung it on my deer scale in the garage and it read between 2 1/2 to 3 pounds. I do not know how accurate this is though. Thanks again guys for the discussion. This is why I enjoy the Trad Gang site so much!!

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
+1 more on what John and DVS said.
Too many rules and limits put on us by our society as it is. If it feels good to you and you have an idea in you that needs to come out, then go for it full tilt. Don't let anybody
 determine your idea of artistic expression, that's a personal thing and it only has to make sense to one person.....You!

I like it and I can see that you put a great amount of thought and creative effort into it. Love it or hate it, you have to appreciate talent and creativity regardless of your tastes in bows, and you have both.
Picasso or Van Gogh didn't worry about whether their paintings made sense to anyone but them, why should a bow be any different?

Personally I wouldn't want a bow like that to hunt with, but I bet it would sure turn some heads on the 3D course!

Nice job!
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Nim-rod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
I like that it is interesting to look at and admire the work that went into it. Truly a work of art! Buuuuut...as far as hunting with it or shooting it I dunno if i'd be out there with it. More of a wall hanger in my opinion. But then again I like things pretty simple for the most part. I even prefer vanilla ice cream.
Proud to be "regressing"

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
Of it shoots well why not hunt with it?
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  
Encore, Encore......that's great.  That's about the best lookin' bow I've ever seen.  Outstanding, in more ways than one.  It truly is amazing.  I'm quite impressed with your artistic skills.  Don't hold back next time,  :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »
I can certainly appreciate the artistic ability and the craftmanship that went into your bow.  You should be proud.  I don't have nearly the patience you have.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
I'm not quite sure how many of us rely on all our bows to be hunters. I like some of my bows for target shooting, some for stumping, some for showing off what some time and imagination can do, and some for making meat. But they all have a purpose. Some are just to test the art/craft, and it's direction. I see you made it out of a 3 piece. I'm pretty sure native Americans didn't have 3 piece take-downs, but I bet we're mighty glad someone thought of it though! Someone went out on a limb (probably literally) and used knapped flint heads for broadheads instead of just the tip of cane. This all had to start somewhere, so why not it start with you?

As far as your bow goes, I agree with everyone here. I like it. I hate it. I want to hunt something BIG with it, and I want to hang it over my mantle. I want to scare my wife with it, and teach my son what he can do with his hands, that a machine can't do with it's processor, and millions of bits of memory.

Simply put, if we don't try, we'll never succeed. Failure is a component of success, as long as it gives you a reason to get back on the (stave) horse.

Thank you for sharing with us!

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
At first glance, it looked a bit gawdy. As I looked closer at the details, that bow is a work of art. To make the limb angles work along with the sculpture of the snake takes alot of imagination as well as talent. I'm going to put my neck on the line and say that the guys that don't like it have never attempted to craft something as unusual and functional. I've done some unusual bows and I'm sure not everyone likes them but any time people talks about your bows, you are getting noticed! Great job, Mike

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nim-rod:
I like that it is interesting to look at and admire the work that went into it. Truly a work of art! Buuuuut...as far as hunting with it or shooting it I dunno if i'd be out there with it. More of a wall hanger in my opinion. But then again I like things pretty simple for the most part. I even prefer vanilla ice cream.
first off , i know i quoted someone , but let me start by saying i like this bow. im not overly crazy about it. its nice , but i didnt see the snake at first , it kind of overloaded me. i admit though , i was looking for all the woods you used , and was looking from more of a technical standpoint. aesthetically i really do like it.

this is where the quote comes in. while i wouldnt  call this a wall hanger , i wouldnt hunt with it. if i did shoots or meets or 3d or something , then of course i would be proud of it. the bow i took hunting last year cost 3$ , shoots 45# , and other than the fact that it bends and doesnt break , its a stick. its MY stick though that i made and im proud to carry it.

dont ever let others' opinions guide you. obviously you dont , and i applaud your effort and skill in crafting the bow you did. a+

i too , prefer a good vanilla ice cream.

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline JD 9116

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
I want to thank everyone again for their input. I truely enjoyed hearing everyones personal beliefs on this issue.Also, thank you for the compliments.

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
exceptional piece of art...well designed and executed. Not a bow that I would want for myself but I appreciate the skills that you have....

><>

Chief
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline William F. Adams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
It's too much if it no longer functions as a bow.

This one seems fine and is very cool.

Some interesting designs here:

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/31771/Bow-Handles-Gallery

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Phenomenal Craftsmanship and I appreciate the mad woodworking skills to create it...

However, I am more of a form follows function minimalist... But then, I have been called weird on a few occasions.

I like it as artwork, but not something I would pine to own... I am more of a let the wood do the talking type guy...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©