3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Making some string wax?  (Read 403 times)

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Making some string wax?
« on: February 19, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »
I got a pound of Pure bee's wax and I have some Toilet bowl wax rings...I would like to know if anyone has ever made thier own string wax and how much of each did you use? Thanks in advance...Keefers <")))><

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making some string wax?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
Sorry for the double post,not sure what happened...  :knothead:

Offline The Gopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
i'm not exactly sure what the composition of toilet bowl wax is, i've heard that it is mostly beeswax with other stuff to soften it. I just finished making a bunch of string wax using nearly equal parts of toilet bowl wax and parafin to stiffen it up a bit. i haven't had a chance to try it yet but it feels good. it has a little give to it but isn't sticky and goopy like the plain toilet bowl wax.
"The future is, of all things, the thing least like eternity. It is the most temporal part of time, for the past is frozen and no longer flows, and the present is all lit up with eternal rays." ~C.S. Lewis

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
Thanks Gopher, I will keep the parafin in mind.I just found some info about using 4 parts beeswax to 1 part toilet ring but  I may try less cause I don't want it too soft...I guess I could always ad more toilet bowl wax if needed...Now I will wait till the wife isn't home and break out her new "Members Mark" Pots and pans she got for Christmas and start my brewing and use the icecube trays or the muffin pans to pour it in...  :help:

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
Keefer,

Before you go mixing other stuff with the beeswax you might want to just try it straight. That is all I have been using for over 20 years and it is fantastic stuff. It is hard but once on work up some heat with the fingers and the string will stay nice and tight for a long time.

Good luck

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
I poured up.......thirty-something lbs, I think--had 25 lbs of just bee's wax--about a year or two ago, but danged if I can remember the mix.  It was try this, try that until I got what I wanted.  Hopefully I have enough to last another year or two--what a mess!

A couple of hints--don't use any pot that you intend to use for anything else ever again. Get a disposable tin pan, like the ones for roasting chickens or turkeys.  Do the same thing with the muffin pans--get disposable ones--and line them with cupcake papers.  

Once that wax cools, it won't let go.  Cover the counter tops with newspaper, or something that you can wad up and throw away because it's got wax all over it.  

Get a small, cheap soup ladle to scoop it out with.  

Monitor the heat--just barely enough heat to melt the wax, no more.  Melted wax is hot, it doesn't cool very fast, and it sticks to bare skin like glue!

One last thing--if you are going to do it, I'd do enough to cover you for a long time--make the mess and get it over with.  It ain't worth the trouble for just a few cakes.

Chad

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
Hey Chad,  what in the world would you do with thirty pounds of wax.  That's enough  to wax a ton of strings.  Send me a cake when my bow comes in, if you have any left. LOL    BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
Chad Makes & Sells  LOTS  and  LOTS  of Fine Quality Strings!!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
Yes he does, I am the proud owner of 3 of his strings and hopefully in a week or 2 wil have two more when my Crusader comes in.  I was just poking a litte fun at him for making so much at one time.
                   BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
Well I went and found an old pan,and mixed one pound of pure wax to one johny ring and heated till it was liquid...Took it out to the workbench and started filling my lined or should I say "wife's" lined cup cake /muffin molder thing ma dang and as I poured it I also coated a fryin pan size area of my unfinished workbench top and down the 4x4 leg and floor of my shop...But I was able to scrape up most and reheated it and filled 12 cakes up...What has started to hardin feels good to me and all it will cost me is a NEW MUFFIN PAN SAYS WOMEN WHO WEARS PANTS IN THIS HOUSE!!!  :scared:Things Learnt today....Wear Heavy gloves,use a funnel or pouring ladle,use plenty of paper, Read everybody's Replys before jumpin into something you never dun before and most importantly ask the BOSS who does the cookin if you can use Her tools of the kithen FIRST...God Bless ! Keefers <")))><

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
I us a a pound bees wax to one wax toilet ring. Makes a nice string wax.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
I use pure bees wax, no additives.

In a pinch I've also used cold water surfboard wax to lube my strings - works real good, smells purty, too.  :D  

FWIW, surfboard wax remover will dissolve any remaining wax residue after the scrape off.  Way cool, dudes.  :cool:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
I also use pure beeswax.  I keep it in the house, as it is too hard if it is stored in the shop or garage.  We have a local bee products company that sells it already molded into small ingots, just the right size for waxing strings.  It seems some
beeswax is softer than others, so I alway go for the softer when I have a choice.

Ron

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 12:29:00 AM »
3 parts Beeswax to 1 part Pinyon pine rosin.(Very rough ratio guide-how much pine rosin varies depending upon how dry it is.) Smells great and has a  nice stick-um for string making.

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 01:24:00 AM »
I use about a 3:1 or 4:1 beeswax to toilet bowl ring.  Eric's formula sounds close to what I end up with, but my pan is just a little too small to hold a full pound of wax + ring.  I use old yogurt containers instead of my wife's muffin tin.
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 06:04:00 AM »
I found out that it is cheaper to buy the wax then explaining to the wife she needs a new muffin pan. I looked in the muffin pan cabinet to see if she had any others "Praying" she won't notice if I kinda misplaced the one I used but this muffin pan was one she kept when we had our last yard sale when she cleaned out her cabinets ...Seemed she really liked this one...I am heading for walmart thismorning and buying her an early Christmas present...When I pulled my nice wax cakes out thismorning I noticed some over spill wax went under the cakes somehow and I think it will take less time buying then cleaning a muffin pan...    :banghead:

Offline Seeza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 06:55:00 AM »
Use the ice cube tray with a bit of water in the bottom of each section and the most important part is to let the beeswax cool before trying to remove it.  Even put it in the fridge once it cools down.  The beeswax will shrink away from the tray a bit and you can knock them out by banging it on the floor.  I am a commercial beekeeper and work with tons of the stuff and this works for me.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
I pour the mix into small Dixie cups and peel off the paper after it hardens. My mix will yield a lifetime supply of wax for one, possible two people.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
Where can I buy the bees wax?

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
One of many sources ...  www.hiveharvest.com
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©