Author Topic: Glue up with smooth on questions  (Read 261 times)

Offline NRudder

• Trad Bowhunter
Glue up with smooth on questions
« on: May 08, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
1) what ratio do you use with the smooth on? it says A : B - 1:1  BUT IT ALSO SAYS 2:1 FOR MOER HEAT RESISTANCE, DO YOU WANT THAT?

2) Should i preheat my limbs?

3) should i mix then heat glue on heat glue than mix and how long should i heat it in my heat box

4) how should i measure it

thank you experts.
Rudz

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glue up with smooth on questions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
I use the 1:1 ratio for the glue.
I pre heat the limbs/riser because that is how I was taught-I know plenty of people that don't and have no problems.
If it is really cold I will put both cans into my hot box before measuring and mixing to warm them up, other wise I don't need to-don't mix and heat.
I use small Dixie cups to measure with-filled to the same height.
Sounds like you are getting close-good luck!

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
Like Trux Turning stated 1 to 1 ratio

Pre Heat the limbs, helps to eliminate moisture problems

Down here where I am at I dont need a hot box to warm the glue, but I think it mixes easier the warmer it is.

I use the glop system to measure, approx the same in each pile then mix. (aint failed yet)

I like to use a broken arrow shaft to help butter both sides of the laminations, they let the bead of glue roll out ahead of you and helps me move along quite quickly.
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »
another vote for 1:1 glop method.   I preheat the wood a little, not much.  I found that it was easy to overheat it, and especially with yew, it can "walk" on you, resulting in misaligned lams that have to be ground down more than you maybe planned to get your shape.   Something I've found helpful a couple of times is to have a heat lamp over the cans of glue to keep them warm while I layup.  I usually tend to mix a bit too much, but twice when I've missed and run short, I was able to very quickly mix up a bit more with the glue still warmed.   I use a wall paper trim roller to spread the glue.  Get 'em for $1.49 by the box at Lowe's and just throw them out after use.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline NRudder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 01:45:00 AM »
how much do you think you'd need for one take down recurve?
Rudz

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
i mix mine by weight. 100 resin to 83 hardener.  one set of limbs takes about 8-900 grains per limb if you use a putty knife, and do not waste the stuff.

riser lay up depends on accents and footings, but for cost purpose i figure about 1000 grains.

if i had to guess on volume, i'd say 3 ounces per limb and 4 for the riser. i figure a dozen bows per gallon and it actually goes further.

hope that helps

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
Trux described the exact way I do it too.
Dixie cups work great for measuring equal volumes.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Blkbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
1 to 1 with wood lam's warmed with a hair dryer.If you are using cedar veneers with knots apply glue and let it set for a couple of minutes, apply another coat of glue if it necessary especially at knots and always wet to wet.I mix about a cup at a time.you will have time to mix more as needed

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©