Author Topic: Grandpa's Old Longbow Refinish Help  (Read 258 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Grandpa's Old Longbow Refinish Help
« on: May 08, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
I inherited my Granpa's old longbow, and was told that it's thought to be a Pearson. I have no idea because there's no name on it, no poundage rating, draw length, serial or model #, absolutely no identification what so ever. It appears to be quite stout, but I haven't made a string for it yet because I'm afraid to pull it.

The back is some type of glass which has little cracks all through it and I was wondering if this was a structural problem or cosmetic? I'd like to refinish this bow and build a string for it so I can shoot it, but I won't if there's a chance it could break.

I took a bunch of pictures of it so maybe some of you would recognize this bow and give me some help on it. Can it be refinished? Is it shootable? Or is the fiberglass backing FUBAR?
I have no idea what the belly wood is or the laminated handle either, but the handle is delaminating so it will need a new one glued on before I can go ahead with the restore effort.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grandpa's Old Longbow Refinish Help
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
semo, post it in the trad history/collecting forum. those guys can answer your questions better than anyone imo. don

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
Thanks Don,
They could probably tell me what it is, but I don't think they could offer any advice on whether or not I can refinish it or shoot it?

I'm more concerned about the backing and those small cracks running up and down the length of it. If I can get some answers on that part I'll see if I can find out who made it later.

I think I'll just duplicate the post over there as well?

I think Grandpa would appreciate me fixing up his old longbow. My uncle said Grandpa was a pretty fair shot with it back in the day and that's the only bowhunting I've ever known him to do, but that was way before my time. I don't even think compounds had been invented yet?

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
they can help you with that too. ask bow doc to chime in. don

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
Yeah, I saw him over there when I made the duplicate post. If he doesn't jump in there and offer his expertise I'll send him a PM.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Semo, sometimes info is penciled under the handle wrap in the old bows. The belly could possibly be lemonwood(Digame)a tropical hardwood that was commonly used in the 1930s and 1940s on production bows.
  Google Pearson Archery and see if you can't find it in an old catalog.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
Thanks Pat.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Grumpylineman89 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©