Author Topic: How to prepare limbs for glue up  (Read 226 times)

Offline NRudder

• Trad Bowhunter
How to prepare limbs for glue up
« on: May 09, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
1) put them in the heat box? approx. time?? (bowtuff to?)

2) wipe down with acceton or not, can you just use a brush, any photo of you brushes would be great.
Rudz

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to prepare limbs for glue up
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
I don't use much heat beforehand. I've had them badly move on me. I might lay them ON my heat box while I'm mixing up the glue, or let them warm in my selfbow drying box overnight, but that's about it... don't aways even do that.

No acetone if they've been kept clean and not handled much.

I just brush all lams and glass off with a stiff shop brush immediately prior to gluing.

Offline New Wood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
I like to heat the lams/veneers slightly, just enough to make the smooth on flow easily.

Acetone on the glass and oily veneers.

Spread the glue with the same wood spatula I mix the glue with.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
Only heat briefly, no acetone.  I do warm the Smooth On.   I spread with the little wall paper trim rollers from Lowe's... $1.49, do a good job and throw away afterwards.

Where in Canada are you?   If you're in BC, see if you can get a chance to come down and visit and go through a build with me.  You'd be more than welcome
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Bob Sarrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
If you live in central Texas you don't have to worry about heating up your lams or glue, just turn of the AC in the shop for awhile.  It'll work.  No acetone, it can make funny things happen with the smooth on.
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27.3

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©