Author Topic: Natural finishes & fletching problems  (Read 440 times)

Offline Loa

• Trad Bowhunter
Natural finishes & fletching problems
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
Hello,

I love the look, feel and even smell of linseed oil. I used the boiled version to finish my bows and arrows, and so far so good.

My problem is this: how to easily fletch my arrows? I have a JoJan fletcher and it works really nice, but even with the fastest CA glue I could find, I still have to firmly hold the clamp for 15-20 seconds to have a good bond.

I tried fletching tape and it's not really working.

Are there other all natural finishes that work better with glues/tapes?

Thanks

Loa

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Natural finishes & fletching problems
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
It takes boiled linseed oil a long time to dry. Have you tried Tru-Oil as an arrow finish? it is a linseed oil  product.
  When I use pitch varnish as an arrow finish I fletch the shafts first then seal the shaft using a small paint brush being careful as I go between the feathers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
I agree with Pat, fletch your arrow first and then apply the linseed oil. Either that or learn to tie the fletching on. About all my arrows are secured like that these days.

Fletching tape works great on acrylic paint. You could crown just the area to be fletched and linseed oil the remaining shaft.......Art

Offline Loa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
Hello,

I will give the paintbrush technique a try.

Art: I do tie my fletching, but I couldn't imagine doing that without the feathers being glued on already!

I wrap them with artificial sinew.    

Loa

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 01:40:00 AM »
Very nice work on those babies.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 06:55:00 AM »
Loa, I wasn't referring to just tieing the front and back. I meant the whole fletch, like this:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=006165

Offline Loa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
Hello,

Fish n chips: thanks!

Art: I've seen such fletching before, and I do like it. Yet again I wouldn't know how to do it if the feathers were not glued on the shaft already. I imagine them moving around wildly as I try to slip the string in the feathers without breaking them...

I also imagine myself swearing and throwing the arrow on the floor!  :-D

Is there a better way?

Loa

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
Sure, there's an easier way Loa. Take a piece of rubber, like from an inner tube, cut you out a trangle, say, 2x2x2 and punch a 1/8-3/16" hole in it's middle. Then cut a small slit at the hole aligned with the point of the trangle. It's called a Fiddler's jig. Some folks use a piece of cardboard or leather for the jig but I like to use rubber myself.

Slip it over the nock end and down the shaft about 5" of so. Then, just slip the front end of the fletching under the jig at each point on the trangle. This will give you equal spacing for a 3 fletch.

Basically, the jig holds the fletching in place freeing up your hands to get the thread started. Once you have the front end of the fletching starting, then you can remove the jig by slipping it over the fletching, and continue wrapping your fletching.

Use a good strong thread like upholstery thread and you're have a secure and robust fletching......Art

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
Wow, that is some old school stuff right there.
Art is quite masterful in the ways of the Ancient Ones!   :thumbsup:  

I wish I could hang out in your shop for a few days and get all this "know how" on video.

Do you have any kids or grandkids with video cameras Art? You should seriously think about doing some videos. All you would have to do is just keep doin what your doin and let the camera do the rest.   :campfire:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
Fun part for me Chris was learning a lot of this stuff on my on. Would hate to deny all you fellows the same opportunity.  :bigsmyl:  

However, I can't take the credit for the Fiddler's jig though. Fellow from Alaska came up with that idea. I named the jig after him. Kinda refined it some....Art

Offline Loa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 06:23:00 AM »
Hello Art,

Thanks for this simple and efficient solution. I may just give it a try!

But to return to my original question: are there some all-natural finishes that are more glue/tape friendly?

Thanks

Loa

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 06:39:00 AM »
Best advice I can give you is do what Pat recommended. Glue/tape first and add your finish around the fletching........Art

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
i got a tip for ya. if youre using multi stranded artificial sinew , try it like this...

Cut about an arms length of artificial sinew. seperate it into its individual strands. mine has abour 4 main strands that i can then break down to 3 strands.  i just take one of the quarters.

glue the very tip of your feathers in , just with a tiny tiny dot of CA. then wrap a small area on the quill , in front of the feather. then trim at an angle and wrap .

once you have a small buildup (kind of like a little ramp , one or two layers ,LIGHT layers.) , then either tie off or wrap through the feathers. wrapping through takes a little practice , and steam is your friend once youre done.

at the back i try to do a small threadwrap like you would do for a fly , but its not needed. you can just wrap , knot a couple times , and a drop of CA.

ill get you some pics. i like yours , but i finish mine like everyone else , with a brush. i dont worry about the feathers though , cause a little tru-oil on the base of the feather should keep them secure for a while longer.

lookin god , keep it up.
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Loa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
Hello hova,

Thanks for the tip. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics, but I'm curious about the steam. What do you mean, "steam is your friend"?

Loa

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
it can help to fluff feathers a bit. whether they just get rained on , or a little smushed , a quick blast of kettle steam will get em back right.usually...i have yet to have to clean blood off my feathers , so ymmv...

the orange and green one went through a piece of 1/4" hardboard paneling , thats why its all screwed up...

these are just stumpers. they start out as lauan or craft store oak or hardwood dowels (5/16) , that are not spined or anything. i just stand the dowel on the end , and push. if its harder to bend it , i keep it , if its weak or the grain is too bad that i think it will break , i put it back.

i used to get rid of the crooked ones , but as long as the grain is ok , i just straighten them.

i use artificial sinew , split into 4ths , with some cheap ca. next time i make any arrows , i will use some epoxy and thin it massey style. i used some epoxy for a couple once , and it really worked out nice.

my craft feathers were just cut off the quill with a fresh shaving razor blade (if you can find the old school bendy ones). then like i said , small dab of ca at the front , wrap my threads , wrap the feathers down , and glue at the back. then i brush tru-oil on.

future arrow's will also have some epoxy filler in the bottom of the feather if its not perfect. these can cut you if youre not careful.

i just do my fletching by eye as well.

long story for some stumpers , but tthis summers goal is at least 3 really nice , actual shafts . planed from a board down , with a little bit of taper in them , and actual trade points instead of nutters.

these nutters are nice for stumpers , and bunnies , but i want something sharp for fall turkey and deer.

keep it up , im still just a novice.but im a cheap novice...

-hov

edit:: heres the nutters tips...

i also wanted to let you know some guys here recommend putting your feathers in a ziploc with a damp paper towel for a couple minutes , then when you wrap them , they shrink a little and you dont get lifts like some of mine have.

-hov (im really done this time)

Offline Loa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
Hello Hova,

Thanks for the tips and pics. I'm pretty sure I have the exact same sinew, but I find that even split in 4, it's still too thick for my taste. Friend of mine (that makes/repair violins) gave me a handful of very long horsehair that I might try.

As for the feathers, I've only used AMG feathers, and like them. But I've gotten my hands on some wild turkey feathers on **** and just received them. They look fantastic, and it's going to allow me to get a more native/natural style. I've made quite a few sets of colourful arrows, now I'm gonna try "plainer"-looking ones...

I'll try the steam and zipper bag tips next time.

Loa

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
im in the same boat as you , but i wasnt paying all that money for 12 feathers , i just couldnt do it. these ones havent bled like others ive seen ,but they dont hold up so well to the shelf. natural feathers should be a little more robust.

and yes , even split into 4 , its still can get thick on you if youre not careful. twisting up the feather can be a pita , but it seems to hold them a little better for me , so thats just what i kept doing.

good luck in your fletching and flinging , and remember to post pics!!!

Offline Loa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
Hello,

I decided to try wild turkey feathers because I got a good deal on them. They're still expensive!

Here are the arrows I've made thus far:

Loa

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
damn...that makes my nutters look like...well...nutters.

those look great , keep it up!

Offline Loa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Thanks! Will do!

I'll post the more "natural" ones as soon as I make them. (Might take a couple of weeks...)

Loa

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©