Author Topic: Bees Wax Finish  (Read 299 times)

Offline northland archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Bees Wax Finish
« on: May 10, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
How often does a bees wax finish have to be touched up, if at all?  Also, is there any special way it needs to be applied?  I have an osage bow finished with bees wax and want to make sure it does not go dry on me.  
Thanks Much
Teach a child about Christ...then the bow.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bees Wax Finish
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
You can touch up the bow when it no longer feels waxy to the touch. I rub on the wax and then melt it with a heat gun and polish with a cloth.

Offline northland archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
So if the bow feels dry or un finished, add more wax?  Where is the best place to get good bees wax?  

Thanks

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
craft shows
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
I got some at a trade days event we have in the area monthly.  I actually do the reverse of Shaun - warm up the surface of the bow with a heat gun (just enough to melt the wax), then rub the wax on and let it soak into the pores.  Polish with a cloth while it's still warm. You can do a water drop test periodically to check if it needs more.
Kevin

"he hath bent his bow, and made it ready . . .his arrow shall go forth as the lightning" - Psalm 7:12, Zech. 9:14

Offline northland archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
Thanks i will head down to the craft store tonight for some.  I looks like this bow will need another coat of wax.  

Thanks Much

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 06:45:00 AM »
parafin does the exact same thing, costs  much less and can be had at any local grocery store that sells canning supplies.

I heat the wood and the bar of parafin pretty much together and once parafin has soaked into the wood, I keep heating it until it won't take any more wax, then move along until entire bow is done. after it chills off, wipe off excess and buff.
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
I just sent an email to my supplier for bees wax to see if he could hook some of you all up. When he gets back to me I'll let you know if he has any available and what it's gonna cost.

I may start carrying it on my sponsor page if there's enough interest. He's about the cheapest I've found anywhere, so I'm sure he and I can work out a good deal that will benefit everyone and pass the saving onto you all.

It is a seasonal business though, so availability just coming out of winter may be minimal.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
What's expensive?  I pay $1 for a block about 3/4" thick by 2" diameter.  Sounds like it's not much but it lasts me quite a while.

JF:  I'll have to try it your way!  Sounds like it would work better than mine:)
Kevin

"he hath bent his bow, and made it ready . . .his arrow shall go forth as the lightning" - Psalm 7:12, Zech. 9:14

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
I buy it by the pound and the more I buy the cheaper it is. Pays to buy in bulk then you can always melt it down into smaller useable size blocks, 1/2 pound, 3/4 pound, or even ouces. Most craft shops sell it by the ounce and way over charge ya for it. I get mine straight from the source from a guy who collects from local bee keepers, then processes it himself so it hasn't changed hands a bunch of times. That's what drives up the price alot by the time it hits the store shelves in craft shops.
I'll see what I can get and I guarantee that if I end up with some to sell, you will get a much better price than a store for the same product.

Offline northland archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
That's sounds great.  I know what you mean by mark up.  I saw it a a local craft store lastnight for 17.00 a pound.  That is too much for me.  Let us know.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 06:04:00 AM »
Yep, that's what I meant by craft stores charging by the ounce. I haven't heard anything back yet, I'll try him again today and see if I can track him down.

Offline northland archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
Since I have to refinish a bow, I am going to attempt to do a 'how to' post on applying bees wax.  Please feel free to add your input as this will be the first.  See you soon.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©