Author Topic: Getting Back At It  (Read 205 times)

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Getting Back At It
« on: May 14, 2011, 01:29:00 AM »
Got back into the shop today for the purpose I'm supposed to be there… first time in over a month.   Been busy with other activities and other types of projects.   Got a friend who wants a special bow, but I have to order some particular lams he wants, so I decided to start on a bow i've been wanting for myself.   As seems to happen a lot with me, the wood talked to me and changed my plans.   I had planned an all maple bow with birdeye back, quilted belly and tiger riser.    However, when I got the rough lams sawn and laid out with the riser block, it didn't look right at all.    Too busy, the grains fought instead of complimenting each other.  

So, what to do?   What changes to make?    Finally decided on birdeye both back and belly, tapered boo core and a bubinga riser.   Got the lams and a power lam cut and the riser shaped and should be able to do the layup tomorrow after a bit of organizing for the first effort in my new glue up room.   Hopefully, it will be as pretty as i hope….   Still haven't decided whether shelf or no shelf.   I suppose the wood will tell me…

More when it's done and I can show pix.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting Back At It
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Can't wait to see it Dick, it sounds like a winner to me and your bows are always classy so I'm sure this one won't disappoint.   :thumbsup:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting Back At It
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
seriously. you build some of the most beautiful bows that if they shoot even a millionth of the way they look , would be awesome.

i dont blame  you. no that im in a house with a garage , its nice to get out there and make some shavings. a little more setup will be nice , but god it feels great to work some bodark.

keep it up dick , you give us amateurs something to look forward to.

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©