Author Topic: Bulbous handle  (Read 646 times)

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Bulbous handle
« on: May 16, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
I have trouble shooting selfbows off the knuckle.

They all shoot to the left.  I just finished a 57lb@28" osage bow with a bulbous handle.  Where the arrow sits, is probably 1/4+ off center.  I even went down to 1816 alums and 43lb cedars.  Arrows are flying straight.

Another guy who shoots selfbows says since I change back and forth to glass bows with shelfs cut past center, I will always have problems with selfbows where the arrow sits 1/4"+ off center.

Anyone else have issues?  I have selfbows where I have cut a shelf and the arrow sits more center, and I shoot those "ok".

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bulbous handle
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
I dont have a problem switching between glass bows and self bows. I shoot 3-under and aim with the tip, however I have to cant the wood bows more or they will shoot to the side.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
Greg, how are your bow's shelf cut?

Offline Aznboi3644

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
i have never made a stiff handled bow with a cut out shelf but it seems like you are having spine issues with your arrows.

arrows flying to the left is too stiff a spine.

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
No shelf, just a bulbous handle.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Aznboi3644:
i have never made a stiff handled bow with a cut out shelf but it seems like you are having spine issues with your arrows.

Not sure how I could go lower than 150gr tips out of a 1816 spine with a 57lb bow.

They bare shaft tune fine.

I just know I shoot by looking a spot.  Not down an arrow, not off the tip, just look at it and shoot it.

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Aznboi3644:

i agree that it sounds like a spine issue. try leaving your arrows full length to start with and bump up the point weight and see if that helps. don

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
If they shoot fine when bare shafted then spine isn't the problem. I hold my center cut glass bows nearly vertical and cant the woodbows about 45 degrees.
I have a friend who shoots the same way as you and he has the same problem with shooting left.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
I notice if I close my left eye , and eye down the shaft, before pulling back, and slowly pull back, I hit ok.  But I have never shot that way. Where i notice many guys shoot do that.  

I might try canting more.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
I shoot a glass curve a lot.  When I switch back to a selfbow I have a period of readjustment before I hit consistently.  It takes me a lot more practice to shoot a selfbow well.  I have to really dedicate myself to it.  That's why I shoot my glass curve a lot.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
I am glad I am not the only one.  

I like the feel of bulbous handles.  Just a disappoiting weekend at the balt trad classic.  Broke or lost 4 POC arrows.  

Another issue i am facing.  I can't get to full draw consistently.  Its like I have a mental block that my selfbow needs to be launched immediately.  I have had a few blow up at full draw, and ever since then, I snap shoot.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
String slapping the arm guard will cause left impact for a right-handed shooter BC. But as some has mentioned, probably the ole brain having problems adjusting for that wider arrow pass.

Try some type of tapered arrow for your selfbow. Use parallels for your glass bow. That will help a lot.

When it comes to getting to full draw, it's mind over matter. Takes a lot of concentration, practice and shear determination to overcome. At least it did for me........Art

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
BC. Was that you with the rawhide backed self bow talking to Stim Wilcox?

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve Kendrot:
BC. Was that you with the rawhide backed self bow talking to Stim Wilcox?
That be me.  He gave me a decent critique.  Nice of him.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
Biggy, in my "earlier years" I had this  same "situation" when changing from said bows!

I shot with Gary Davis, and watched him shoot at the long distance shot 90+ yards with his bows and others!

At Cloverdale one year, he was on, and folks were paying the "Price of admission" to shoot Their bows! It was a Show for sure!

My heart was with the Selfbow, my ability was the "Shelfed bows"!

Gary and Terry Henry, another great Shooter and friend from Michigan inspired wisdom in my soul!

Don't fight it! It will come, you will feel it!

Your Heart, Love and Desire is in place!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
Sounds to me like you may be left eye dominant. I am too. I keep both eyes open but have trained my right eye to pick up the arrow and take over. What I do is consciously look down the arrow with my right eye and then up at the target when practicing. It becomes a subconscious habit and don't have to think about it after a while. If my left eye "takes over" the arrow hits about 2 feet left at 20 yards.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Shaun:
Sounds to me like you may be left eye dominant. I am too. I keep both eyes open but have trained my right eye to pick up the arrow and take over. What I do is consciously look down the arrow with my right eye and then up at the target when practicing. It becomes a subconscious habit and don't have to think about it after a while. If my left eye "takes over" the arrow hits about 2 feet left at 20 yards.
Very left eye dominant.  It has plagued me since I started archery for 25 years.  

What I used to do when I started trad, was when I looked at the target, before I released, I would briefly blink my left eye, and get my concentration on the right eye.  (sounds like what you do).  But I quit doing that, and pretty well trained myself to look at a target and just pointing in that direction, I could hit.  (no ref to the arrow).  I did this by shooting at night at a candle for a while.  

But now with an arrow off center by up to 3/8", I might have to go back to training myself to look down the arrow again.  Problem is I hold at full draw with glass bows for 2-3 sec before releasing.  So, you do things like train your right eye.

But with a self bow, in my head, I am having trouble mentally holding for 1-2sec.  I feel like if I hold back 3 sec, its going to explode at any time.  

I am glad I am not the only one.  I do appreciate all's advise.  I was considering quit making bulbous handles altogether and make shelved (cut to the center) bows again.  I have had issues with this in the past with osage where I have had cracks up the fades to the limbs starting inside the shelf.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
big : if youre worried about your bow exploding if  its held for 3 seconds , you will short draw every time. its like flinching if you shoot too big of a gun.

put your bow on the tiller tree and pull it with a rope and pulley. if you cant hold it there for 5 seconds , at the very least , i would say thats a pretty bad bow.

my board bow was at the full draw peg for a couple minutes at a time. i pulled it a couple inches past 28" just to know that if i stretch out or someone picks it up , there is a margin for some error.

i wouldnt hesitate to hold full draw while hunting even for 5 minutes. the only concern i have , is that it seems to cause a little more set. if i was really shooting , i would get to half draw , ready , then come to full draw as a shot presented itself.

also , your shooting left sounds just like me when i shot off my knuckle. now i shoot off my fingertip.

one other idea , is that with the bulbous handle , it may be twisting just enough in your hand that the arrow is actually moved slightly off the plane. try wrapping some athletic tape around it and build it up just a little. i bet this is whats happening.

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
Yea, I have made a few Hova.  

Its kinda like telling someone not to be scared of hieghts and then expecting them to not.  Its just something people has to work thru.

If you have a few blow up on you at full draw, I guarantee you, it will take some mental doing to not worry about it.  Its just a part of bow building I suppose.  And I highly suggest not holding your board bow few min at time on a tiller tree.  Just a suggestion.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
bc : i have had em blow up. i been in car accidents and taken red hot metal in my arm. you cant focus on what can happen. that is a distraction. as anyone , you have to have confidence in yourself , and your equipment.

i do understand being nervous and apprehensive , and yes you will work through that. thats all natural and to be expected. i wasnt , and am not trying to say youre doing anything wrong.

i just meant that obviously something is wrong if a bow breaks at full draw. not that the bowyer made a bad bow , but you could have had a crack or something not even visible.

this is why i like the peg tillering stick. while i understand a piece of wood can only be flexed so much before it breaks , if it is made right , in my opinion (and from a mechanical standpoint) , a bow should be able to hold full draw without breaking indefinitely. thats what it was designed to do , is bend.

im just an amateur still , and im not tryin to steal your thread or get ya riled up . im definitely not saying that you build or have a bad bow. i mean nothing but respect and help .

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©