3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another Hummingbird and it Sings  (Read 793 times)

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Another Hummingbird and it Sings
« on: February 19, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
I have often said that two of the best shooting bows that I've ever shot were Hummingbirds. They were both takedown recurves and although I didn't own them, and I'd never shot them before, won a tournament with each of them.

Recently I got a "Alpha Male" longbow made by Hummingbird and I was very pleasantly surprised. It's fast, forgiving, and shoots where you point it.  It doesn't look half bad either. In fact it's downright pretty.

Anybody else have one of these? And do you like it as well as I do? There are a lot of nice bows out there, but I don't think I've seen a better shooting/looking bow then Ben Graham's.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Hummingbird and it Sings
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 11:07:00 PM »
I had a 62 incher Don.Alpha Male as well.It was about 57#s at 30 and it was sure a pleasant shooter and very stable as you can attest to.The added wieght in the riser really makes for dead in the hand bow.I would sure like to try a 64 incher for my longer draw.They are a true pleasure to shoot.With superb craftsmanship.Glad you like it.Enjoy!

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
Hey Don. I've been a fan of Hummingbirds for many years.  I got my first custom takedown recurve from Ben back in '93.  Still a great shooter.  I got a takedown Dyna Stick longbow around 2000.  I have taken a heap of animals with it.  64in. 54@28.  One of the smoothest bows I've ever shot.  I'm shooting it in my avitar. There is a picture of it in 2003 highlites under Must be my year.  Great bows.  Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
Pics.....what about the pics?!
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »
ttt

Offline HoggPhan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
I have two. An Invisible Wings take down recurve 44# @ 28 and 60" and an Alpha Male longbow, 51# @ 28 and 62". I mainly shoot the longbow because it was my first bow and I bought it straight from Ben at a shoot in Maryland. But I tell you what, that recurve is the smoothest draw I have felt in any bow I have ever pulled back. And you are right about the looks, they are both a beauty and I get complements on them quite often.
Aim Small, Miss small.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
You know I have seen hundreds of Ben's bows but never shot one untill ATAR last year.I shot one of those fancy recurves and it shot real nice.They all look darn good.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
Don

Glad to hear you broke open the wallet and got you one of those hummingbirds! Its about time since you won the wing shoot at ATAR with a borrowed one. I have owned a couple Hummingbirds and all were fine shootin bows!  :D

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
James, I've shot at least 5 Hummingbirds over the last 15 years and only one of them was average. Three of them were (in my opinion) in the top 5 percent of custom bows being made today. That's based on how they look, feel in hand, accuracy, hand shock, and speed. Like you, I like to shoot a lot of different bows, but if I were to settle on one bow, it's likely to be one of Ben's.

No, John, no way. I traded for the bow. I had another fine bow for two days when someone called and asked if I wanted to trade it. When I ask what he had to trade, he said that he had several Hummingbirds and would trade one. Well that just suited me fine. Again, I wouldn't have to break open the wallet, hah. By the way, how's the family? Is Cindy going to bring the little guy along this summer? We just had our third grandson a couple of months ago. Kids are great.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
Don

You got that right! Kids are lots of fun! John Davis is growing so fast its hard to believe. We will have him at a few shoots this year. Most likely ATAR and Hickory. Congrats on your new grandson!!!

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 08:12:00 AM »
Don that is a sweet bird. Easy on the eyes. Thanks for letting us shoot last night, it was a good time.....I swear Scooter cant get out of your shop without spending some $ LOL!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
Well you guys shooting on Wed nights now Don? I am finally getting to where I can shoot a little again.It took a month of phisical therapy but I think I can shoot and avoid the knife if I keep it up. :)Planning on being able to at least shoot the course by the first Sissipahaw shoot anyway.Probably won't be able to whoop old John for a while yet however.  :bigsmyl:  

John that boy should be shooting by now.You are feeding him good aren't you.  :biglaugh:

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 08:56:00 AM »
James

John Davis is eatin and growing faster than I can give it to him.(LOL) He has been stretchin a few strings on his bow. Hopefully he will be ready for the course in the near future. I know i'm proud of him....he's a fast learner!!

Get that shoulder fixed. I expect your best this year!!  :D

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
Seems like there's an old boy from over around Pittsboro NC that shoots a hummingbird purrty good.
James you aint got to worry about whupping John. He's got a differnt bow for each taget this year. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
I'm shootin a hummer in my avitor too.She's a sweet shooter and Ben's a good guy to work with
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
Batman that old boy around Pitsboro is in my sights!  ;)  I am going to have to have some work done on my eyes as well as my shoulder to mess with Preston much.  :biglaugh:  You can't hit them rings if you can't see them.I am working on that too.  :D

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »
Don I need to come up on a Wed. and bring my 60in takedown Hummingbird recurve . Is all Bacote with accent stripes , very easy on the eyes and one smooth shooter . I thought about trading it awhile back but  I pulled it from the classifides . Im worried that I would not be able to find another recurve thats this nice and shoots this smooth if I were dumb enough to let this one go . I have to say that one of Bens takedown longbows might persuade me though . Hope you enjoy that Bird !

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »
Don Batten

I also have an arrow for each target too.....  ;)  :D  

James
I got Preston in my sights this year also. I have a secret rig that I used to help the Navy shoot down spy sattelites with. Guaranteed to 12 ring most everything  :bigsmyl:

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
Ben Graham makes some beauties!

Fine shooting bows.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
Mike, you're quite welcome to come up and shoot. It's now Tuesday night though instead of Wednesday. We usually start about 6:30pm.

James, I saw your buddy Keith today. He brought some good stuff over for me. You guys need to come over to shoot. He says that your shoulder is getting better.

John, This is a challenge. You and john Davis versus Mike (Ward) and I. When do you think they'll be ready for that? Lol

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©