3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who makes up your hunting camp?  (Read 804 times)

Offline John C Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
Who makes up your hunting camp?
« on: February 20, 2008, 01:38:00 AM »
Curious about other peoples hunting camps.  From reading a variety or forums and reading into others posts her and elsewhere, I wondered how many have trad only camps?  I'm not trying to start a fight or argument, just trying to get an idea of how others see things.

I will not hide my opinion and say: I can never see myself being in a camp that limits the legal means of its hunters.   :saywhat:   I am all for sharing a campfire with like minded people, but not when it will exclude good honest hunters from attending.  

My current hunting partner, my brother in law, shoots a compound.  My father in law shoots a compound.  I am starting my wife in bow hunting this year and gave her the choice of equipment and she will be using… a compound.  So maybe I just do not get “it.”  Like my signature says . . . its not about the equipment used.      ;)    FWIW I have no intention of trying to convert or change them.. the are who they are and that is why I hunt with them.

What is the make up of your current camp(s)?  If you limit the equipment used; how so and why?    
Thanks
John
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters

Its not about the weapon used, its about the adventure involved.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who makes up your hunting camp?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 03:47:00 AM »
We have a fair bit of variety.

One hunt we had a rifleman at one dam, me with my longbow at another, and a compound-bowhunter at another still. All were separated by about 20kms. I had a rifle at mine (Winchester .30/30) in case a dog or camel got friendly. I didn't need it, but my mate with the compound wished he'd had one! A pair of bull camels put him up the only tree!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 05:45:00 AM »
My friends.
We hunt with what we hunt with.

Killdeer  :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 06:24:00 AM »
The club I'm in is rifle and bowhunters.It's probably split about half and half,maybe an edge to the bowhunters.............I am the only Trad bowhunter.Hopefully that will change for next season since I've gotten a close friend hooked on the longbow over the last few months.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 07:21:00 AM »
I have friends that are on all ends of the spectrum.  I hunt with them all.  As for actual hunting camps I do one that is Trad only with some great friends I have come to know from this great site.  I do one for gun season with my dad and I do another with my dad for black powder.  I care not what somebody hunts with as long as it is a legal means of taken legal game!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
I hunt alone or with my kids

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
TEAM HILLBILLY
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
The most important member is the camp cook.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
I hunted for several years in a camp made up of 4 rifle hunters and myself, at that time a compound shooter. Lost that property, and moved on to a bowhunting only ranch, where there was a combination of traditional and compound users. It was here that I went all traditional. The last two years I've hunted public land, bowhunting only area, with a central primative camp. Myself and another TradGanger are the only traditional shooters on this property. With that said, I've never had a problem in a hunting camp situation that wasn't resolved quickly. Bowhunting in general seems to bring together top quality people who are truly concerned with the rights of other hunters. I find that this is particularly true in the traditional community. Rest assured, we all know people we would not want to hunt with for one reason or another. It's been my experience that these individuals tend to weed themselves out. Much like this site, people who are rude, augumentative and just like to cause problems, will move on if their desires are not satisfied.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
Spent 15 years with a close family camp.  After getting shot at by the "camp moron" who had to sight his gun in three days before gun season, I managed to get myself thrown out for being "upset".... I was the only bow hunter and had taken up the sport to get away from the group in the first place.  The property owner is family but felt I reacted inappropriately by complaining..probably better off not being there.

Lately I have been lucky to hunt with some extended family on their land, who tolerated my hunting with a compound, and showed me the better side.  Whatever is legal is allowed, though we tend to stay more toward "traditional" implements.  Having a lot of fun....

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
I like a party of 3 when i hunt...Me,myself,and I .

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
I'm the only trad guy in our group, though one guy shoots his wheelie with fingers (he has potential   ;)  ). It doesn't bother me at all. It's kind of nice, actually, because I've killed more elk with my stick than they have with wheelies. It's far more important to me that camp mates share hunting styles and philosophies rather than equipment. My hunting partners seem to have interest in my equipment, but haven't gotten to the point where they will willingly "limit" opportunities. I just don't see my equipment as a limitation.
Is it September yet?!

Offline Hoytman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
Anyone that quibbles about who is in camp with them has probably never had to pack out an elk by himself, or will have to in the future. I have had muzzelloader hunters in my camp during archery elk season. My next archery elk hunt will include my standard compound elk set-up and my recurve. I would hope That I wouldn't kick me out, or treat myself badly. After all, I may need help packing out an elk.
" without humor, nothing would seem funny."

Offline NTXStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
My family hunts with longbows and recurves, even this year my cousin's oldest converted from a compound to a longbow that his grandfather made him.  We would only poke fun at anybody that came with training-wheeled bows.  ;)

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
I used to hunt by myself but I couldn't get along so now I hunt alone!
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
i hunt alone as well. much safer that way at least ya dont have to worrie about getting shot at. and all ways tell someone where ya going and what time ya will be back.  ;)
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
I mainly hunt alone or with my daughter during deer season but love to hunt with anyone for everything else. I have shared camp with many great people in here.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
I hunt alone. Someone always wants to come out and elk hunt but they only last 3 or so days and go home. Sore feet,sinuitis,poor preparation, they never stay with it. I give up on today's hunters,work,money,etc... always seems to override the hunting. No wonder the guides,fenced operations thrive,no one will slow down long enough to really get into the hunt...campfire,coffee brewing,grizzled whiskers growing,smelling the conifers after the rain,really going after the critters one-on-one for as long as it takes or the season closes......

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
I hunt with several great friends who love to hunt as much as I do but they are still in the training wheel stage. Yes I do hear a little grief about my stick but I also get a lot of support and respect from them. They dont fully understand why I do it but they seem to understand why I am so happy when I do get a shot at something.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline Steve Crowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »
Cops, Marines ... Oh, I almost forgot one Coast Guard .... pooooor guy!!!    :biglaugh:
Steve Crowl

"Proud Father of several Marines"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©