Author Topic: Can we hash this out? neg vs pos tiller***Clarification  (Read 960 times)

Offline Archer1961

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can we hash this out? neg vs pos tiller***Clarification
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
Roy, not sure what you mean exactly as a newbie myself. I know you get good reviews for your tillering! I know I messed up my first boo backed reflex/deflex bow by having a weaker lower limb due to a slight and I mean slight error in one spot I did not see. I adjusted by moving my nock point- I shoot 3 finger split BTW. It shot great for about a year until I started noticing a more weakened lower limb and it cracked a few days later. Like others I want to understand if possible what to do so I repeat my own shortfalls.
Thx for all the great inputs/considerations.
Positive Outcome = Effort + Patience

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
You want it simple, here's simple.

Just tiller for even strain to both limbs at full draw and that in itself will produce the proper amount of even/positive tiller for your bow. With even limb strain, or one limb not receiveing more strain over the other, long term tiller health will be preserved.

Think about this real careful. If you do as prescribed above, there can be "no" negative tiller for the top limb because of the way we grip the bow and string.

For those few who advocate a stronger upper limb for what ever reason, do so by disregarding even limb strain. Here, best timing/balance and speed suffers......Art

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Positive tiller is when there is a greater distance from the end of the riser measured to the string on the top limb, than the distance measured the same way on the bottom limb. Just like measuring your brace height, but measured from the ends of the riser to the string.  

Tiller the bow on a tillering tree untill you are about 4 inches from your final draw length, then tiller the bow the rest of the way just pulling with your hand like you will shoot it. You want the bow to feel balanced as you pull back the string. If one limb is stronger than the other, the bow will let you know. A mirror is great for the final tillering.

Art ole boy, give these guys the full story on this son.. You got more B.S. than I do:)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
In my opinion and after deep thought over many years...OUCH.  That hurt.  I forgot I gave up on overanalysis.  Gives me a brainache.

If you are new, stick with simple.  Then refine your thinking as you go.  Don't get ahead of yourself.  There are few "right" answers.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
Alright boys, thanks for participating!  I've done a couple more searches and actually turned up some other threads where some of this has been discussed
(example:  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=000112;p=1  ),
so sorry to resurrect the debate!   :readit:  

Thanks again for putn up with us hard-headed newbies!
Kevin

"he hath bent his bow, and made it ready . . .his arrow shall go forth as the lightning" - Psalm 7:12, Zech. 9:14

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
Yes.  :jumper:
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
Chuck, how is it you get the prize without weighing in on the question?   :D  
K-hat, that last post is a pretty good summary of what "tiller" may actually mean!  ;)  
Stan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
Right place/Right time Stan. I do feel just a bit guilty tho. The other guys put more effort into the answers than I did. Now I have a question...
What did I win?  :goldtooth:
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
Bow building is Fun.

Bow Building is Learning.

Enjoy the journey.

And most of all, pass on as much info as you can. None of us know it all.

Offline UnderControl16

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Roy you couldn't have said it better.

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2011, 12:15:00 AM »
So I’m not the kind of person that can be given a problem and then drop it when I don’t find an immediate solution.  It bugs me, it eats at me, and no matter how I try not to, my mind continues working on it till I figure it out.  So, here is my proposed solution to the negative vs positive tiller quandary, which limb should be stiffer and why, as well as commentary on other bow-making observations.  Along the way, I will state some things that we all already know (or at least maybe you do) as if perhaps not known before, not to promote the idea that I discovered it, but rather so that no assumptions are being made about what the reader knows/understands and nothing is taken for granted.  So bear with me in that regard.
I’ve been teaching science/physics for more than 10 years now, so scientific methods and experimenting are pretty deeply ingrained in me by now.  However, I didn’t want to experiment on perfectly good bow wood and invest a lot of time in making failures, so I opted for something quicker and less destructive.  I took a 60” long 1” diameter pvc pipe I had laying around, and put holes in each end to serve as nocks for a pvc bow.  It is uniform and elastic enough to make a good approximation of how a bow would behave.  I then put spring scales at each end of a makeshift bowstring to be attached to the nocks, so this would register the force acting on each tip of the bow.  I then proceeded thru trials of differing hand positions and nock points on the string and observed mainly 2 things:  forces registered on the spring scales and the amount of tip deflection from the straightened position.  
The first thing I noticed was the most startling, but was also a face-palm.  No matter how I pulled and held the bow, the spring scales registered nearly identical forces at each end.  My problem before this was that I was looking at the string as being divided in two segments (top and bottom), each attached in two places: at the tip and at the arrow nock point where they join.  This was big time WRONG!!  This would allow the segments to carry different forces depending on how the bow was operated (which was my previous thinking) , when IN FACT it is more like one string going one load to the other (tip to tip) with a pulley in somewhere between (the arrow nock/fingers).  The tension is such a string is going to be uniform all the way through, allowing the force to be equal at both tips.  This is HUGE!!  With all due respect to Dean Torges, this was the fallacy in his representation of the bow as a seesaw with a fat kid and skinny kid.  The bow system is much more complex that this, and simply cannot be represented this way.   What’s the point?? Here it is:  no matter where you grip the bow OR the string, the forces acting on each limb are the SAME!  If one limb feels 20#, so does the other.  If one feels 30#, so does the other.  So, contrary to Dean’s thinking with the seesaw (with all due deference and respect), the shorter limb (top on an equal limb bow when measured from hand pressure fulcrum) does not bear a greater load, but the same load as the longer (bottom on equal limb bow).
WAIT  A MINUTE!!   You may say, “but then why does one limb obviously bend more than the other when forces aren’t  centered?.”   Good question, but the answer is NOT in the size of the force acting on them since these are equal.   So do they bear equal strain?  Depends on how you define strain.  If strain is load, yes.  As an engineer defines strain, I don’t think so (I believe it takes into account length of the deformed object), but going into that is over my head at the moment.  Surely we have some engineer bowyers out there who could chime in on that one.  But really, that is neither here nor there.  Let me answer the question about the amount of bend in each limb a little in layman’s terms.  When spine is measured for an arrow, length matters.  A short arrow will bend LESS under the same load as a longer arrow (provided the distance from anchor point to load is greater on the longer arrow.).   THIS is exactly why an equal limb bow tillered on the tree with fulcrum at geographic center will show MORE bend in the bottom limb than the top when gripped and shot conventionally.  The lower limb, in effect, IS longer than the upper in this scenario, and being under identical load will have a greater amount of deflection at the tip than the upper for the SAME reason the longer arrow bends more than the shorter one under the same load.  
So, why does it matter, since they are under the same load no matter how you design/tiller the bow??  Well, all the experienced bowyers will tell you (as they’ve told me), “it just don’t work buddy!”  You’re bow may function now, but eventually it’s gonna malfunction.  The tiller will get all screwy or it’ll just flat out blow on ya.   Before I go into my proposed explanation for that, let me confirm that in my experimental bow, the longer limb ALWAYS flexed/bent/had more tip travel than the shorter limb.  Period.  Why?  Because they are identical and have the same stiffness, they are subject to the principles above as applied to an arrow shaft.  One question that remains (haven’t been able to go back and verify) is the ratio of limb length to deflection.  Does a twice as long limb deflect twice as much, and show the same amount of deflection at it’s midpoint as the shorter limb (since equidistant from center)?  I suspect the answer is yes.  I know, I digress, and haven’t answered the question at to why such a bow will self-destruct if not adjusted in tiller.  I believe the answer here is in timing.  Let’s first assume both limbs have equal mass.  If that is the case, then the acceleration of each limb at release is directly proportional to the force acting on each limb.   Since we’ve already verified that is true, then we can infer that the limbs will in fact experience the same acceleration when the arrow is loosed.  Anyone see a problem?  I do.  If one limb is bent further (the bottom in our equal limb length and strength bow), then it has further to move!  This creates a timing problem.  The top limb is gonna tend to finish before the bottom.  I believe this causes the bow to retain more energy (rather than going to the arrow), and that energy remains in the lower limb and eventually destroys it, not to mention creates hand shock.  That’s an unverified assumption, but I think it fits with our observations.
Fortunately, we already know the solutions to these problems.  Make the lower limb stiffer (positive tiller), or make it shorter.  All I’m proposing is hopefully an understanding of WHY these adjustments are necessary and why they work.  So the seesaw analogy was definitely problematic and leads to some misunderstandings, but Dean was dead on in his solutions to these problems.  What happens when we shorten the lower limb? It’s gonna flex less AND have less mass, and be more in time with the top limb, (this also fits with our equal force per limb idea!).  What happens when we just  positive tiller/make bottom limb stiffer?  Well, limbs will have about the same mass, but will have close to the same amount of deflection and distance to travel home.  Given the same force (again, verified), they will arrive in sync.  
Well, there’s more to talk about on this (string angle and balance in the hand, split vs. three under, where are the fulcrums really located,  etc.), but my brain hurts, and I’m tired, and it’ll have to wait.  Feel free to comment on those, however!!

BTW: This is all perfectly in line with the advice given on this post and elsewhere, I guess I just had to figure it out fer myself as to why it works this way, and hopefully so I can be more thoughtful in future bow designs!

Happy shaving     :D
Kevin

"he hath bent his bow, and made it ready . . .his arrow shall go forth as the lightning" - Psalm 7:12, Zech. 9:14

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
Boy that was a long post!! You might need one of these   :coffee:     to get through!
Kevin

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2011, 02:15:00 AM »
"limb timing results from balanced symmetry at the full draw position, and that is the ultimate goal."

I believe this to be a false statement.... Limb timing is about getting those limbs to stop dead at the end of the power stroke at the same time.... limb symmetry at full draw will not do that in many cases.

Having good limb symmetry is a good optical tool for achieving balanced limbs, but the symmetry itself has nothing to do with the actual timing.

"my bow is now with a handle layout which puts hand pressure .75" above ctr and arrow pass 1.75 inches above ctr."  

In this case you are definately going to see a negitive tiller measurement at brace off the fades..... a tiller measurement is just that too. a measurement top and bottom at the fades.... it doen't matter if it's positive or negative as long as the limbs are balanced correctly and stopping at the same time.

The whole tillering vs balancing limbs has to be done from the pivot point, or pressure point you put on the bow.... who cares whether the bow balances in your hand when you are carrying it or not. it's having the limbs balanced in the power stroke that makes a good shooting bow that is dead in the hand.

if you are putting pressure on a point in the grip below true center of the bow, and your shelf cut out is above center in which your fingers are located on the string above true center the strength of the limbs need to be adjusted so when you drop the string both limbs hit the end of the power stroke at the same time.... if you don't do that, the bow is going to rattle your teeth loose and loose a lot of efficiency.

there's about 10 cents worth... IMO

btw... i like your take on this SEMO i do my glass bows the same with same lingth limbs and about 1/8 positive tiller instead of shortening the limbs.... although i gotta admit it's easier to accomplish shifting my tip notches a 1/4" up the hill...

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
I agree that 'symmetry at full draw' should not be the focus. Timing is more important. What if a selfbow stave has odd, undulating side limb profiles, with net deflex in the bottom limb and reflex in the top, and you use 'symmetry at full draw' as your gauge/goal?... that's not going to work out well. Such a bow's limbs are going to return at different rates, the faster limb dragging the arrow nock with it which builds arrow porpoise into each shot and the untimed limbs are going to cause added hand shock.

Bows tillered with perfect limb timing as a 'gauge' to our progress during construction as well as out ultimate 'goal' result in bows that treat the shooter and arrow best.... even in spite of many possible physical differences between their limbs.  

Along another line... "who cares whether the bow balances in your hand when you are carrying it or not."

I absolutely do. It's easy enough to build a bow that does both... limbs that return together in a bow that doesn't incessantly try to fall out of your hand.

"Balancing in your hand while you're carrying it" is important to me because it means the bow is also balanced in your hand while shooting it, which means it points as effortless as a finger, high or low, back and forth, at moving targets, while canted at any, even extreme, angles.

When I build a hunting bow, I try to build a bow with no uneeded mass size or weight, a bow that physically balances in the hand somewhere between the handle and string fulcrum points, and pulls perfectly straight back into the bow hand as its drawn(tillered for the shooter's specific grips on string and bow) AND whose limbs are timed so that they return at the end of their power stroke together... THAT'S the bow that feels magical... the bow that's effortless to carry, quick to point and shoot, that shoots an arrow predictably well right out of the gate without tuning issues, the bow that feels like a natural extension of the shooter from the first time they shoot it and thereafter.

Those are 'some' of my hunting bow requisites   :)

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
nobody has asked what kind of bow hes building , at least that i can recall...
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
OK, I'm not a bow builder, but I have finished a couple of blanks (Hill blanks) and reworked a bow to reduce draw weight a few pounds.  Tiller and timing are pertinent items of discussion for these projects, and I have pretty much just followed the rule of about 3/16" difference between lower and upper limbs at brace.  My results have been good, and the bows I have finished have turned out smooth, accurate and with very little shock.

I have shot other bows that do not perform as well, though, so I am a bit curious about the "timing" issue that several people have mentioned.  Is there a way of accurately checking the timing of the limbs other than just "feel"?  What I am hearing from this post is that merely achieving correct positive tiller does not guarantee that the timing will be correct.  Can someone who knows more about this than I do help me understand?
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
Greg, best timimg is achieved IMO when one grips their bow properly per the arrow pass layout.

Closer the arrow pass/shelf is to the dimensional center of the bow the straight the wrist. Further away the arrow pass the lower the wrist.

Long bows, with their straight back handle design, are commonly gripped using a medium wrist/grip. Arrow pass layout is generally around an 1 1/2" above center requiring a positive tiller somewhere in the neighborhood of what you mentioned. Or at least that's how things work out for me...........Art

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
wait a minute now art. are you telling me that the way i hold my wrist has something to do with the timing of my bow?

i think this is too much thinking. you could have you a big ol' mess-o-shavings by now , and probably a bow with all that jaw flappin and hamster wheelin.

seriously though , its dark magic. you wont grasp it until you have broken a few bows.

have fun!
 :thumbsup:
-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
It really is just that simple ain't it Hova. Best way to learn.........Art

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
K-hat, I don't see the limbs of a bow as levers. Rather, I see them as springs. If the limbs were levers, then each of the nocks of a 50# bow would have 25 # of force as the was drawn. This does not appear to be the case. There is very little force applied to the nocks at the draw. But there is a fulcrum involved at the handle. There is a lot going on when  a bow is drawn. Practically speaking, I tiller the bottom limb a little stiffer(1/4") as shown at full draw. At least that is the ideal. I really don't like my selfbows to look like glass bows. I leave the character in the bow. The ideal tiller, then, is usually not the picture perfect image.  :)  Jawge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©