Author Topic: Tillering with a palm sander questions?  (Read 357 times)

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
Tillering with a palm sander questions?
« on: June 02, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
I've read where several bowyers are using palm sanders instead of scrapers to tiller a bow, could someone explain the process, what grit paper you use, etc.  The last two bows I've made have had small areas of washboarding.  Didn't even notice it until finish was applied.  Thanks in advance for your input.....Dan

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tillering with a palm sander questions?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
I bet it would work nice.  I use a 50grit sanding block during my final tillering.  It would be simular.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 12:11:00 AM »
I normally use 120 or 150 grit because that's what I have on hand for tillering purposes. Once tillered I switch to 180 grit for getting a finish sanding then if I want it smoother I go down to 400 grit, but rarely have I done that. It usually gets plenty smooth with the 180 cause after about 7 coats of tru oil I can't see any imperfections in the finish anyway.

Just don't under estimate the sandpaper's ability to remove wood, it will and it can take too much off if you linger in one spot to long. Keep it moving and I usually color the belly part of the limb with a pencil from edge to edge on the limb where I want to remove more material. When the pencil marks are gone I stop and check it on the tillering tree again to see where I'm at.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 12:39:00 AM »
I was taught to get rid of the washboards to turn the scraper at an angle and just lightly scrape.  it takes the top of the top of the washboards off and leaves it flat

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 02:44:00 AM »
I've had good success with the orbital palm sander.  I just mark the belly with a pencil where material needs to come off and use the sander to get the pencil marks out then check tiller again. Typically I use 100 grit for this.

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
D. I'v tried holding the scraper on an angle like you suggest and have had good success on osage and hickory, but still get some irregularaties maybe an inch or more in length on the softer woods like elm, hackberry, & mulberry.  I was hoping the palm sander would work better on these woods.

Semo & AK, thanks for your input, I'm working on a hackberry bow now, so we'll give it a try and see what happens.  Thanks again.....Dan

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
I used the Palm Sander to get rid of Scraper Washboards! Took 'em off in a hurry too!!  :thumbsup:   Just like Semo said "Keep it Moving.."!!  :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
Are these flat-bellied bows yinz are working on?

I make radiused-bellied bows and NEVER

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
Ooops...

Are these flat-bellied bows yinz are working on?

Just wondering cuz I make radiused-bellied bows and NEVER get washboarding.

I use cloth-backed 150 grit after the scraper knocks the tops off of the facets and begins to round things over... then just drape the sandpaper over the belly and sand away... perfect radius.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Radiused-bellied bows are for sissy pants ifin ya ask me:)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 12:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Radiused-bellied bows are for sissy pants ifin ya ask me:)
Yep, real men make flat bottom bows.   :goldtooth:  

Seriously, certain woods are so strong that they need a radius belly. From what I understand Ipe is one of those woods.

Dan- I've had a tough time scraping on Hackberry anyway, it seems to want to tear rather than scrape smooth. You would be way better off using a palm sander on it. I've got one in the works right now and just waiting till it dries a bit more before finishing it. Let us know how it goes with the Hackberry cause this is my first time around with it. Kind of a learn as I go project.   :rolleyes:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
I use scrapers during my initial tillering, a plam sander for the final touch-up. I make round and flat belly bows, the plam sander works well on both.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »
Well, different strokes for different folks I guess.

I think by that point, I'm just long done with the power tools.

BTW, flat-bellied bows are simply bows that ain't done yet   :biglaugh:

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »
I see Your point Bjunkie, I just did a Flat Belly on My Granddaughters Little 36" Bow, and it turned out Great!! Got tired of the WashBoards, and used the Sander just enough to take them out. The rest was done with the Scraper.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Thanks All for the input.  So far I have this bow tillered to 21", used the scraper till I got to about 18" then switched to the palm sander with 150 grit.  Looks good so far......Dan

Offline firewood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
depends on the wood your using.but i always have mine around while tillering. I have even shaped my tips with one.I still scrape,but I like the sander to blend.it keeps me from getting to close to any hinge that i might have.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©