3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rick Welch's shooting classes?  (Read 366 times)

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
Rick Welch's shooting classes?
« on: February 20, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »
Do any of ya'll know about Ricks shooting classes? How long are they? What kind of cost? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and God Bless, DAVE
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rick Welch's shooting classes?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
Great Classes.  

2 Days long

$400

Best investment in shooting I could recomend...

YOu will learn to shoot 3 under so if that is an issue don't go..  

Very quality stuff though!!!

YOu will go to his location/ close to Little Rock AR....
Blessings,
Steve

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »
I have his video, and the video is very instructional, I would order that, before you go.  I ordered mine from Three Rivers Archery.

I think it was $25, well worth it.

Pastor Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
Thanks fellas! DAVE
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
Going to Ricks shooting class was by far the best money I have ever spent on hunting.  I now shoot better than I ever thought I would be capable of.  He only charges like $400 but it's worth $3000.  If anyone is interested in his style I implore you to go.  He is not just an amazing shooter, but also an excellent teacher.

Offline 3undr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
Dave, after all the time i spent showing you how not to hit the target, now you'r going to mess it all up by going to one of the best. lol Everything i hear about rick's are positive. If you go have a blast. Rod

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
I completed Rick's 2-day school about this same time last year. Without any reservation at all, I would recommend this program to anyone who was looking to improve their confidence & shooting abilities. Further, he does really well at giving you a "keep it simple" foundation.

The first thing that we did was to film my shooting and critique my form (or lack thereof). Then Rick gave me specific steps towards shoring up my shooting.

Some of the things that I learned were to be CONSISTENT in sqaring both my feet and shoulders towards my aiming point. SLOWING down, solid DOUBLE-ANCHOR, HOLD, HOLD, RELEASE. The end results were quit astounding as I watched the films, after incorporating the recommendations. I shot a 246 and 226 (2nd round and a bit tired) on the target course. Before this, I was averaging about 190.

I also learned that my 55 lbs DAS Recurve was too heavy. Yes I could shoot it o.k. at short range, but holding it 2-3 seconds and obtaining the proper sight picture resulted in the need for a lighter bow, which luckily for me, Rick was able to provide for the sessions. Rick commented that 95% of the guys that come to his school are over-bowed, so if you go you'll want to take your lightest bow!

I will try to cross-pollinate Rick's style of instinctive shooting. The "double anchor" point maximizes your consistency shot after shot. We had to re-fletch me a couple of arrows with the back of the fletching just coming to the the tip of my nose. Then my split finger, middle finger to corner of mouth was completely changed to the front of the bent thumb, to the back lower part of my jaw bone. Also changed my set arm to swing arm shooting.

Rick's process is all about repetition, with no reference to the tip of the arrow, or Gap shooting. It's about achieving the proper sight picture by focusing on your target and adjusting the bow arm for longer shots. If your form is right, it just becomes an elevation issue with the shot. Watching the tapes is NO SUBSTITUTION for the real thing... kinda like watching Tiger Woods on the PGA tour.

Repetition produces the proper data to your subconscious and you achieve the desired results. As I watched my second day of shooting, I was truly amazed at how far I'd come. I had significantly reduced a lot of bad habits like plucking the arrow, rushing the shot, peeking, etc.

If you are like me, I don't like to think that I am "not in control". But just a couple of hours Rick's insight gave me a totally new perspective. The school was da bomb!

And after the school, I ordered one of his recurves.  To say that they are FAST, BEAUTIFUL & SMOOTH would be an understatement! An excellent bow value and probably my favorite out of about 10 recurves I currently own!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
great overview, Buckbuster. I own two of Ricks bows. they shoot great. guess I'm going to have to go out to AR and get some personel training. don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©